• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Will PVC and PEX pass Insepction?

Giginw

Hi I'm converting one family to two family. I want to use PVC and PEX since they are cheaper, easier to install and more durable.

I looked up and found they were unanimously approved by DOB in 2019 for residential building below six stories.

However, several GCs and plumbers told me inspectors won't let me pass if I don't use copper and cast iron even if I show them the updated code. Is that the case?

Thank you in advance for your help! I've learned so much from this forum :)

There have been reports - unverified - of NYC rats chewing through PVC. I would not be surprised if in NYC iron and copper are still required. Strong unions and harsh environment tend to result in these amendments to model code. 20 years ago I had to use metal conduit for wire and cast iron for dwv in a single family house in Chicago burbs. Building department was mostly people from the trades and union members. Didn't want to allow Romex.