• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wind Farm

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Recently had a visit from company investigating locations for a wind farm. 400' span wind turbines installed across numerous jurisdictions and 200'+ in the air. Has anyone else had these installled near their community and if so, what advise or warning can you offer. Are they a items that the general public will fight? IS there a noise level associated with them? They tell us the db is 45 at 1000'. Very preliminary, but thought I would start collecting any input available.

Re: Wind Farm

I 102 - Noise is one concern that will be raised, no doubt. Radio frequency signal interference (that would include satellite signal for TV and internet...) is another. Visual 'blight', destruction of viewsheds. It's not exactly my neighborhood, but there is a wind farm in (near?) Weymart, PA. Have you tried google yet? You may find some quick links to the information you seek...

45 db at 1000 feet???? That is one good reason why they are put in the middle of open fields. They also can confuse doppler radar and give a false indication of a tornado.

In Oklahoma; in accordance with "Uncle Bob's Wind Farm Code" requirements; a wind farm is not allowed within 4,000 yards ( approximate range of a 50 caliber sniper's rifle) of Uncle Bob's home.

Uncle Bob

Google "wind turbine health issues".There are some very serious concerns being raised about the effects of low level noise and vibration. The flickering shadow from the blades would drive me crazier. Also a concern is the strobe lighting at night.I'm with Uncle Bob,keep them out of rifle range!

Joe

Not saying I would like to live underneath one, although I'm contemplating installing one for home use, the friggen wind blows here most of the time. But in this part of the country, yes Joe, you to, it makes sense, if they can do it and make a profit.

Here in Illinois, if I blink, a new wind farm goes in. Lots of opposition, but it's a love / hate relationship. Seems like they always go in......just like cell towers.

Our jurisdiction, after 6 months of debate, adopted a residential wind energy ordinance. Have not had an application hit my desk......yet.