• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wind Towers

Alan

Hi,

New guy here. My question is this: How does your municipality set the permit fee for a large wind tower ($1.5 million for example)??? I am in the midwest so obviously this won't apply to some of you, but we are seeing more and more on a residential side ($20,000)...but we are trying to see what we can do if a larger tower shows up.

Thanks all........have a great day!

~A

Re: Wind Towers

Welcome Alan, glad you found us.

My answer? You permit it like any other structure. We have them in the county, not my jurisdiction, but they are not really any different from any other structures. They still need inspections, review, etc....so treat them the same. JMHO

Again, welcome to the forum.

Re: Wind Towers

Hi Alan

In my jurisdiction (midwest county),I use the value of the tower and foundation to determine the permit fee.I do not include the value of the equipment(turbine, cell equipment, or whatever).We have only permitted small wind towers for residential use, and communication towers. My approach applies for any tower structure,even the sherrif's communication tower.Yes I did require a permit and collected the fee!

Since every tower requires about the same amount of plan review and inspection visits no matter the size you could establish a set value on which to base fees(your administrative decision).You could also adopt a set fee for a tower permit.This would have to be done by ordinance.Any buildings that are associated with the tower add to the value and therefore the fee.

Good luck,

Joe