• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WINDOW DISPLAY PLATFORM REGULATION

Jorge

Does anyone know if the platform you typically see inside retail stores, where the mannequins are typically standing, are regulated?
Wondering if the platform were, for example, 12 or 14" high, if this height would be regulated anywhere?

The code mentions Merchandise Pad in it, but not much information regarding it.

Thank you very much for your help,

Jorge

Thank you Mark. I did see the regulation regarding the aisle.
My doubts are:
1. What is the correct term for that platform?
2. At which point would it be regulated..after the area of the pad surpassed a certain area?

I was not able to find anything which would fit the bill in the Florida Building Code or the NFPA 101.

Thanks.

= @ = @ =

Jorge,

I do not recall this topic ever coming up.......That
said, the Mannequin Platform Area might be called:
an advertising area, ...part of the Mercantile Area
[ RE: Section 309.1, `15 IBC, " ...or portions

thereof" ] in general.

Do you have a, or some specific questions ?

@ + @ + @

Yes. We have a situation where this platform will be about 6' wide and 42" deep. The step needs to be 12" high and I'm wondering if it would not need to be under 7" to accommodate the person dressing the window. It is a little far fecthed, I know, plus there certainly aren't handrails at these platforms around town, therefore they are certianly not regulated by Chapter 10 "stairs"....therefore I asked myself today: "at which point WOULD these platforms need to comply with additional requirements.. What if it was 500SF?... Ect..."

Thanks,

A " product display platform" only accessed by employees (herein is the potential issue: a window dresser with a disability may claim a Title I accommodation. Bannana Republic was sued for lack of access to a display area but it was accessible to the general public.

Don't know if this helps:
2009 IBC
1103.2.7 Raised areas.
Raised areas used primarily for purposes of security, life safety or fire safety including, but not limited to, observation galleries, prison guard towers, fire towers or lifeguard stands, are not required to be accessible or to be served by an accessible route .
1103.2.8 Limited access spaces.
Nonoccupiable spaces accessed only by ladders, catwalks, crawl spaces, freight elevators or very narrow passageways are not required to be accessible .