• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Window Film" added to glass in hazardous location

Joe.B

Just did a rough inspection on a high-end house and they had some windows that are essentially at the floor level and were not tempered glass (R308.4.3 violation). The homeowner was severely distraught because they are very expensive custom windows that are not available in tempered glass. I think they were hoping I would miss that. They came up with a solution that I think is pretty genius, they found a "window film" that can be applied (with special glue) to both the inside and outside to essentially make the window "laminated". Waiting now for the architect to show that the material meets the requirements of R308.6.2 (1). Has anybody seen this used, or approved? Any feedback or experience greatly appreciated.

Be careful with that, and make certain that they provide adequate testing/evidence that this product, as an assembly, is equivalent as you may be setting a precedent.

Yes, exactly my concern. That's why the Building Official is requiring their Architect to submit the evidence for review, not the home owner. I hope it works for them because otherwise they are going to be looking for paddles.

Thanks for the links, I will share this info. I like this solution a lot, sure is better than having to replace a window. Hopefully their Architect can find/provide documentation that shows compliance.

and were not tempered glass (R308.4.3 violation).
Funny...Did a Glenn class today....Safety glazing is the requirement of which tempered is a type, not the only solution...Read it again...

The field applied stuff has some pretty tough installation instructions if you really drill into it....In my experience...

The field applied stuff has some pretty tough installation instructions if you really drill into it.
Like ... doesn’t the film have to go to the actual edge of the glass, not just the visible portion of the glass?

Funny...Did a Glenn class today....Safety glazing is the requirement of which tempered is a type, not the only solution...Read it again...

The field applied stuff has some pretty tough installation instructions if you really drill into it....In my experience...
"R308.4.3 violation" is in regards to the location, specifically less than 18" from bottom of window. "...meets the requirements of R308.6.2 (1)" references the section that lists the acceptable materials, (1) being "laminated" glass, (2) being tempered glass. <Said in a sarcastic, snarky, joking tone> maybe you should read it again ;) JK I hear you, but yes I've read the section carefully many times. I also pulled the code book out and went over it with the owner. I never write a correction without a code reference.

"R308.4.3 violation" is in regards to the location, specifically less than 18" from bottom of window. "...meets the requirements of R308.6.2 (1)" references the section that lists the acceptable materials, (1) being "laminated" glass, (2) being tempered glass. <Said in a sarcastic, snarky, joking tone> maybe you should read it again ;) JK I hear you, but yes I've read the section carefully many times. I also pulled the code book out and went over it with the owner. I never write a correction without a code reference.
308.6 is for skylights and sloped glazing.
308.6.2 is for materials for skylights and sloped glazing.
Wrong subsection for a window.

308.3.1 provides the test standards for safety glazing used required in hazardous locations as referenced from 308.3

You mention less than 18 inches to the ground, but be sure the top edge is also more than 36 inches. A horizontal member often runs across large picture windows at 18 inches above the floor specifically to eliminate safety glazing requirements.

There are many window films tested to safety glazing standards. Search "smash and grab". They are primarily marketed for security not safety.

Exception 1 to R308.1 makes it pretty welcoming for a building official to accept "a certificate, affidavit or other evidence" for other than tempered glass.

308.3.1 provides the test standards for safety glazing used required in hazardous locations as referenced from 308.3

You mention less than 18 inches to the ground, but be sure the top edge is also more than 36 inches. A horizontal member often runs across large picture windows at 18 inches above the floor specifically to eliminate safety glazing requirements.

There are many window films tested to safety glazing standards. Search "smash and grab". They are primarily marketed for security not safety.

Exception 1 to R308.1 makes it pretty welcoming for a building official to accept "a certificate, affidavit or other evidence" for other than tempered glass.
I apologize, I'm in CA and I have the 2019 CA Residential Code in front of me (same in 2016) The numbers I referenced are correct in CA only.

Apologies, I misread what you wrote. You're referencing that the materials listed in 308.6.2 only apply to 308.6 and cannot be applied to requirements of 308.4. Understood and agreed. Where then are the acceptable materials listed to satisfy 308.4?

Apologies, I misread what you wrote. You're referencing that the materials listed in 308.6.2 only apply to 308.6 and cannot be applied to requirements of 308.4. Understood and agreed. Where then are the acceptable materials listed to satisfy 308.4?
Just what it says in 308.1 then?

It's when you think you know something that you better realize you don't really know anything. Thanks for catching that and correcting me.
First of all. Dude, you are awesome. This is how people are supposed to be able to talk and learn together. Keep it up!

I really think you would have enjoyed my webinar yesterday. It was IRC Chapter 3, Glazing. It was all about 308.

308.1 is about identification of safety glazing.

You want to look at R308.3.1 Impact Test. Here you get the CPSC 16 and the ANSI standard. Next time you look at a tempered glass etching, take note that these are the two standards you will also see.

Each standard (CPSC and ANSI) have two test categories (A/B and I/II) In the text frame assembly, these correspond to a 100 lb shot bag swinging into the glazing from either an 18" lift or a 48" lift. The standards then provide details for how small the pieces break into or did they not break (collapse) at all. This is how the security films (does not collapse) are approved as safety glazing yet work so differently than tempered glass (small pieces). The code is incredibly complicated and specific when it gets into the details of when the two standards and two classes are permitted. Tempered glass is good for both standards at the 48" drop. So, naturally, everyone just uses tempered glass. Its a case where industry standard is so standard that it even throws off us code folks.

All good stuff. Glad to converse with you. Have a great weekend.

You are setting a bad example for the rest of us.
At first it was a self-preservation method because I was so new and unprepared for this job, it was a way to keep my opinion out of any official corrections. As time progressed it has been a way to keep me on good terms with the local builders as it was clear I was only following the rules and that corrections were nothing personal. I try to put myself in the builders shoes, and I have been the employee on jobs where a "know-it-all" said his way or the highway. Works for me here in my little island where I'm alone in a see of "I've been doing it this way for 30 years" kind of attitude. I may be in CA, but way up here it's kind of still a wild west mentality.

No room to raise? Add a guard?
These particular windows are in a unique location attached to the main bedroom (I don't like to use the term "master bedroom" due to its origin in slavery) that they are calling the "plant room". the floor is recessed and they are going to have a water-proofed floor and an exhaust fan. They have huge floor-to-ceiling windows on both south-facing and east-facing walls.