• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Window flashing with vinyls siding and vinyl windows

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Homeowner complaint after C of O issued in another jurisdiction. Mind if I use my zip tool and take a look at a window or two? Contractor says he has a C of O so why is there a problem?Another inspector turning our profession back into an industry.

View attachment 1833

View attachment 1833

/monthly_2013_06/IMG_7420.JPG.59ff2ed47d81d5062dfd7b0a264b0b84.JPG

Darren Emery said:
Do you know for certain that exterior envelope and flashing is as item inspected by the AHJ?
We try to....but fail miserably due to staffing levels, lack of contractors calling for a "start" inspection, and poor office policy....

On the optimist side....maybe it is a new "natural look" zipwall?

That's why I asked the question Steve. We do NOT do these inspections - don't have the staff to do all inspections, so we pick what we feel is most important, and do our best there. Certainly there is room for a lot of debate as to what is "most important" when it comes to building a solid home.

Unfortunately, citizens rely on local code enforcement of "all code requirements". If you follow the code requirements for inspections (Section R109, 2009 IRC), the required inspections only cover the basics. The last inspection is really left up to the building official as to what constitutes a "final inspection". What I'm trying to express here is that if we follow the code and don't add any inspection requirements; most of what is in the codes is not required to be inspected by us. Perhaps in the sales department of this site (shirts, caps, etc.) you should add horse blinders with our logo on them. It would be interesting if each AHJ posted the required inspections at the permit desk. If citizens found out that we are not required to inspect 90% plus of the code requirements; perhaps they would insist on more in-depth inspections. You know, maybe we should just enforce what the code states and not worry ourselves into an early grave. Uncle Bob

The quality of the adopted codes and enforcement has a lot to do with insurance rates.

Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule (BCEGS) from the Insurance Services Office (ISO) evaluates every 5 years.

When you see the joints in a stair step pattern, you know right away that they are new at this.

I prefer to see the flashing before the siding, but it's not a required inspection, here, either.