• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Window wells

While the manufacturers information states that it is code compliant I wonder if code officials have challenged it? It's easy for a manufacturer to say something meet the code but they want to sell the product.

If the ladder meets this, they are good......not to dismiss the well minimum sizes.....

R310.2 Window wells.

The minimum horizontal area of the window well shall be 9 square feet (0.9 m2), with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches (914 mm). The area of the window well shall allow the emergency escape and rescue opening to be fully opened.

Exception: The ladder or steps required by Section R310.2.1 shall be permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches (152 mm) into the required dimensions of the window well.

R310.2.1 Ladder and steps.

Window wells with a vertical depth greater than 44 inches (1118 mm) shall be equipped with a permanently affixed ladder or steps usable with the window in the fully open position. Ladders or steps required by this section shall not be required to comply with Sections R311.7 and R311.8. Ladders or rungs shall have an inside width of at least 12 inches (305 mm), shall project at least 3 inches (76 mm) from the wall and shall be spaced not more than 18 inches (457 mm) on center vertically for the full height of the window well.

Looks like I will have to add another inspection to my growing list of inspections. Will need to verify the well is installed and back filled to manufactures instruction and LIST of numerous requirements.

Ladder rung spacing might be closer than other emergency egress systems I have seen.

Meets code and I would allow it's use.

Pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Looks like I will have to add another inspection to my growing list of inspections. Will need to verify the well is installed and back filled to manufactures instruction and LIST of numerous requirements.Pc1
Special inspections....Just kidding! One more thing you will have to take on faith and hope to not get sued for....

First of all thanks for all of the input.

"shall project at least 3 inches (76 mm) from the wall" is the question. At first glance it seemed like there was no issue. One of my field staff asked the question if the "rungs" were 3" deep or could meet the projection requirement. I couldn't find the dimensions on the webpage or literature available. Saying it meets a requirement certainly does not make it so. Heck if that was the case just hand me a note for house plans saying that it will be 2,000 square feet in area and meets all of the IRC requirements. That said, I don't see a real issue here and will contact the manufacturer for the dimension. I was hoping someone had seen them in use.

Thanks

ZIG

IRC2012, SECTION R310.2 Allows the ladder to encroach a MAXIMUM of 6-inches into the well. Have not seen this used in the field as to date.

steveray, Kinda like verifying OSB fastening on a tilt wall that has the Tyvek installed covering the fasteners I suspect!

pc1