• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ppanzarella

Per 706.5 it seems the only way to terminate the firewall at the exterior wall and have windows within 4' of the firewall is to sprinkler the building that will have the window within 4'. I am working on non-sprinklered townhomes and they are designed to have the openings within 4'. I think the only way to avoid 3/4 hr opening protection is to sprinkler the building. Is that correct?

1711574196204.png

903.2.8 requires sprinklers, so it seems like the sprinkler question is a done deal.

I think I have gotten ahead of myself because i am used to working on the commercial code. This project is under the Florida residential code which doesn't require sprinklers and doesn't refer to section 706 for firewall construction. Per R302.2.1 the residential code only says the fire wall needs to extend from the foundation to the roof and the full length of the building but nothing else

The term fire wall doesn’t even exist in the residential code. The code calls for a fire-resistance-rated exterior wall on each townhouse. There’s an exception to allow a common 2-hour wall, which might be a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 1
I think I have gotten ahead of myself because i am used to working on the commercial code. This project is under the Florida residential code which doesn't require sprinklers and doesn't refer to section 706 for firewall construction. Per R302.2.1 the residential code only says the fire wall needs to extend from the foundation to the roof and the full length of the building but nothing else

I was going to ask why you were asking about the IBC when townhouses are typically regulated under the IRC.