• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Won Door and pocket receiver for won door.

Builder Bob

Sawhorse
Sunny SC - Coastal (not Charleston or Myrtle Beach
Currently reviewing a won door being installed as a three hour opening protective between wings of a school - Fire wall cut buildings in half for area limitations. The termination wall has a recessed pocket receiver that cuts the depth of the 8 inch blow down to 3 5/8" thickness if filled solid with grout - Calculated fire resistance of the IBC indicates that this is only good for 1 3/4 hr. rating at this point. The Evaluation report from ICC indicates that the door and related materials have been tested for the time periods listed - The fire door (won door) is slightly offset and terminates into a 8 inch block wall that will carry a 3 hour rating UL U904.

upload_2018-12-12_17-50-1.png

Am I really just overthinking this?

Builder Bob

Good question!!!

1. Does won door give any installation guidance, at that point??

2. Does the door it self provide thevrating??? At that point

Fatten out the masonry on the backside? If it doesn't terminate to the face of the assembly with a 3hr joint, I think you are absolutely on the right track to ensure that the rating is maintained at the "penetration"...

I have not won-Doored in years

And never thought about the rating where it stops

Anyway have fun