• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood Pallets in S-2, F-2

YongMNLad

Sawhorse
I am trying to classify a building that will store, bag, store a noncombustible product. It will start in bulk piles, move to a bagging area to be placed in bags, then the bags will be stored on pallets ready to be loaded into trucks. 80 pound bag of quickrete is a good comparison. I have questions regarding the paper bags and wood pallets.

Considering the below sources, at what point is there a "significant" amount of combustible packaging to classify the building as S-1, F-1?

2015 IBC

306.1 Factory Industrial Group F.
Factory Industrial Group F occupancy includes among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for assembling, disassembling, fabricating, finishing, manufacturing, packaging, repair or processing operations that are not classified as a Group H hazardous or Group S storage occupancy.

306.3 Low-hazard factory industrial, Group F-2.
Factory industrial uses that involve the fabrication or manufacturing or noncombustible materials that during finishing, packaging or processing do not involve a significant fire hazard shall be classified as F-2 occupancies and shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
  • Gypsum

311.3 Low-hazard storage, Group S-2.
Storage Group S-2 occupancies include, among others, buildings used for the storage of noncombustible materials such as products on wood pallets or in paper cartons with or without single thickness divisions; or in paper wrappings. Such products are permitted to have a negligible amount or plastic trim, such as knobs, handles or film wrapping. Group S-2 storage uses shall include, but not be limited to, storage of the following:
  • Cement in bags

2012 Commentary has this to say:
306.3 F-2: Structures classified in Group F-2 are occupied for the purpose of fabrication, manufacturing or processing of noncombustible materials. It is acceptable for noncombustible products to be packaged in a combustible material, provided that the fuel load contributed by the packaging is negligible when compared to the amount of noncombustible product. The use of a significant amount of combustible material to package or finish a noncombustible product, however, will result in a Group F-1 classification.

311.3 S-2: Buildings in which noncombustible materials are stored are classified as Group S-2, low-hazard storage occupancies. It is acceptable for stored noncombustible products to be packaged in combustible materials as long and the quantity of packaging is kept to a insignificant level.

Sounds like you are close S-2, I hate to say that. I think I would argue that you are S-1

Might depend on what else is going on!!!

They do have to have a supply of burnable bags!!

Sounds like you do have a F-2 as part of the bldg

About how many sq ft ?? Total

Sounds like you are close S-2, I hate to say that. I think I would argue that you are S-1

Might depend on what else is going on!!!

They do have to have a supply of burnable bags!!

Sounds like you do have a F-2 as part of the bldg

About how many sq ft ?? Total

I agree, it may be S-1, but I am looking for a source that has a more objective threshold than "insignificant level"

Not much else going on - just warehouse storage on pallets, of course there will be forklifts running around moving the pallets.

I have considered the supply of paper bags. I'm thinking they will be in a smaller, separated space - which will be S-1.

I agree, F-2 for packaging

Looks like it will be between 150,000-200,000 sf.

Are the pallets with bagged product at floor level or will they be able to be stacked on top of each other?
Where and how will empty pallets be stored? How many empty pallets will there be at any given time. That answer alone could drop you into an S-1 occupancy

One other question that may cause code

How will the pallets be stored after loaded??

single stack on floor??

in racks?? if so how high??

"""then the bags will be stored on pallets ready to be loaded into""

Are the pallets with bagged product at floor level or will they be able to be stacked on top of each other?
Where and how will empty pallets be stored? How many empty pallets will there be at any given time. That answer alone could drop you into an S-1 occupancy

Loaded pallets will be stacked two-high on the floor. 4' high x 2 = 8' total.

I'm going to assume that empty pallets are stored outside for now as I know this will need to be addressed, but the original question may determine how I proceed.

I think this size of project get a FPE involved.

As an ahj I would require a report, for review.

CDA is correct, a fire protection engineer should be involved..... just FYI, idle pallets stored over 6 feet in height would drive the building into high piled storage ---- with its on problematic issues for you....

pallet types and material can also drive the wagon for fire protection issues

Ifc 2015

HIGH-PILED COMBUSTIBLE STORAGE. Storage of combustible materials in closely packed piles or combustible materials on pallets, in racks or on shelves where the top of storage is greater than 12 feet (3658 mm) in height. Where required by the fire code official, high-piled combustible storage also includes certain high-hazard commodities, such as rubber tires, Group A plastics, flammable liquids, idle pallets and similar commodities, where the top of storage is greater than 6 feet (1829 mm) in height.

3206.4Automatic sprinklers.

Automatic sprinkler systems shall be provided in accordance with Sections 3207, 3208 and 3209.

3206.4.1Pallets.
Automatic sprinkler system requirements based upon the presence of pallets shall be in accordance with NFPA 13.

3206.4.1.1Plastic pallets.
Plastic pallets listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2335 or FM 4996 shall be treated as wood pallets for determining required sprinkler protection.

3203.6High-hazard commodities.
High-hazard commodities are high-hazard products presenting special fire hazards beyond those of Class I, II, III or IV. Group A plastics not otherwise classified are included in this class. Examples of high-hazard commodities include, but are not limited to, the following:

Aerosol, Level 3 (see Chapter 51)

Alcoholic beverages, exceeding 80-percent alcohol, in bottles or cartons

Commodities of any class in plastic containers in carousel storage

Flammable solids (except solid combustible metals)

Glycol in combustible containers (50 percent or greater)

Lacquers that dry by solvent evaporation, in metal cans or cartons

Lubricating or hydraulic fluid in plastic containers

Mattresses, foam rubber or foam plastics

Pallets and flats that are idle combustible

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IFC2015/chapter-2-definitions

I'm with BB and MT and CDA......2 pallets of noncombustible material stacked, not a problem...piles of empty combustible pallets, problem