• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood Pedestrian Bridge?

StephNow

GREENHORN
2009 IBC

Multifamily residential with a concrete and steel pedestrian bridge connecting the front exit to the parking lot is proposed to be rebuilt with pressure treated lumber. Is this permitted as combustible construction? It appears as though it is because the structure is combustible.

What are your thoughts?

If it was properly engineered I could not think of a reason to deny it...Even if the building was noncombustible, unless it was actually connected to the building....

$ * $ * $

snowroski,

Will the "proposed" pedestrian bridge actually be
connected to a combustible building [ RE: Section
3104.3, `09 IBC ] ?

$ * $ * $

3104.1 General. This section shall apply to connections
between buildings
such as pedestrian walkways or tunnels,
located at, above or below grade level, that are used as a
means of travel by persons.

Here is another code section that probably doesn't apply:

1010.8 Ramp construction. All ramps shall be built of materials
consistent with the types permitted for the type of construction
of the building, except that wood handrails shall be
permitted for all types of construction.

Last edited:
Is this a means of egress from the building, or just a convenience? Is the building combustible construction, or would the code it was built under allow it to be combustible?

Since when is asphalt noncombustible?

Who said the parking lot was asphalt? o_O

It is, but the bridge connects to a concrete wall with a concrete walkway before the asphalt parking lot. (I see where I left the concrete details out.)

Is this a means of egress from the building, or just a convenience? Is the building combustible construction, or would the code it was built under allow it to be combustible?

Yes, the building is permitted to be combustible. It is a means of egress, not just convenience.

The danger to the occupants is what happens inside the building. Although this may not be specific to the code it is part of the "exit discharge" and needs to be considered.
I would start with 1027, then look at 1026 and 1019 for the intent to provide protection along the egress path. If you do not find anything that you think should be applied to the protect then move on and call it good.

Back