• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood & Pellet Furnace Installations Questions

Alias

I have a business that is planning to install a MAXIM Outdoor Wood Pellet and Corn Furnace at their commercial building. This furnace is manufactured by Central Boiler located in Greenbush, MN. This is the first time I have seen one of these furnaces so, bear with me.

FM & myself met with applicant at the site. I asked several questions plus the FM is researching clearances for the kerosene tank and the propane tanks.

My main question is, is this outdoor furnace required to be installed on a concrete pad? I asked if it was going on a pad or not and was told no, just on patio type bricks. As I am in CA, are there requirements for anchorage in case of a seismic event?

Sue

From Section 301.15, 2006 IMC: Seismic resistance.

When earthquake loads are applicable in accordance with the International Building Code,

mechanical system supports shall be designed and installed for the seismic forces in

accordance with the International Building Code.

From Section 904.1, 2006 IMC: Pellet Fuel Burning Appliances.

Pellet fuel-burning appliances shall be listed and labeled in accordance with

ASTM E 1509 and shall be installed in accordance with the terms of the listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done meeting with the distributor, his booklet states 'stable, level ground' with the option of using patio bricks if the ground is unstable.

I have already informed everyone that it needs to be on a pad due to CA seismic requirements. I think I just found my answer.

Digging in the CMC based on the UMC, Section 303.4 Anchorage of Appliances - Appliaces designed to be in fixed position shall be securely fastened in place. Supports for appliances shall be designed and constructed to sustain vertical and horizontal loads within the stress limitations specified in the Building Code.

Opinions please, especially from the CA contingent.

Thanks again!

Sue

Hi Sue,

You stated this is the first time you have seen one of these furnaces. First time for this brand or first outdoor wood boiler? Here in Minnesota the only unstable ground we're concerned with would be frost heaves in the spring. if I were in your jurisdiction I might require a reinforced slab on which to anchor the unit. As an alternative I might require an engineered foundation design. In a severe soil shift the hot water line from the unit could rupture or disconnect, but it's not a live steam line. What would you anticipate in a severe earthquake? Overturn or rupture of the firebox? Maybe you need to establish some isolation distance from flammables.

Good Luck

Joe

It is no different than a piece of large electrical equipment sitting on a pad outside of a building. The footing needs to be 12 inches wide and 12 inches deep which should be ample for most anchors and set down in the ground on undisturbed soils not poured on top. You are trying to resist lateral movement and maybe overturning depending on the height to width ratio of the unit.

1809.4 Depth and width of footings.

The minimum depth of footings below the undisturbed ground surface shall be 12 inches (305 mm). Where applicable, the requirements of Section 1809.5 shall also be satisfied. The minimum width of footings shall be 12 inches (305 mm).

Exactly what I was looking for mtlogcabin, thanks! Met with the owner today and he thinks it can be a 4" slab and not completely buried. I'll give him the good news tomorrow.

Sue

Last edited by a moderator: