• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood stove chimney distance/height

cyberwombat

I am looking for the IRC 2018 rules for wood stove chinney height/distance to ridget etc.. I see articles such as this https://woodstovepro.com/articles/u...f-class-a-solid-fuel-pipe-above-the-roofline/ but looking at the IRC I can't seem to find related info.

I have a wood stove coming near the lower end of a standing metal roof that has 45 pitch. To meet the above rule the chimney would probably be no longe functional at nearly 25ft in height - way above the recommended height by manufacturer.

Thanks

"R1003.9 Termination.

(Masonry) Chimneys shall extend not less than 2 feet (610 mm) higher than any portion of a building within 10 feet (3048 mm), but shall be not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above the highest point where the chimney passes through the roof."

"R1005.1 Listing.

Factory-built chimneys shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed and terminated in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions."

The heights in the listing for solid fuels or oil are often the same as for masonry chimneys.

Canadian/US general requirements are the same. Usually buried in an install document; Selkirk requires 1m (3ft) above the roof, 2ft (60 cm) above any obstruction within 3m (10').