• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Work Area & Alterations

rooster

Silver Member
If you're doing level 1 alterations throughout an apt building (replacing in kind...carpet, windows, etc.) but you are closing up 1 set of windows and a few other level 2 alts (not even close to 50%), does this mean you are in a level 2 alteration with a work area over 50%? OR do you just look at the level 2 alts being done and see if they are over 50%? Basically I'm asking...Once the level 2 threshold is hit in a project, are level 1 alts considered to be level 2?

704.1 Scope. The requirements of this section shall be limited

to work areas in which Level 2 alterations are being performed,

and where specified they shall apply throughout the floor on

which the work areas are located or otherwise beyond the work

area.

then...

704.2.2 Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and

S-2. In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I,

M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2, work areas that have exits or

corridors shared by more than one tenant or that have exits or

corridors serving an occupant load greater than 30 shall be provided

with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following

conditions occur:

1. The work area is required to be provided with automatic

sprinkler protection in accordance with the International

Building Code as applicable to new construction;

2. The work area exceeds 50 percent of the floor area; and

3. The building has sufficient municipal water supply for

design of a fire sprinkler system available

Thanks for any input.

sorry about that. 2009 IEBC. The section I quoted is from the level 2 alteration chapter and it's regarding fire protection.

"The building has sufficient municipal water supply for

design of a fire sprinkler system available".

I found this to be available into the building already, from an old commentary for the IRCEB after I made an A-2 pull water from the street to a tune of $117,000.00 and the Mayer got involved. Be careful.

peach said:
all of the following.. means all of the following... not just one.
Thanks for the replies. I actually wasn't too concerned about whether or not it was "all of the following." I was more interested to know about when your work area exceeds 50%.

To simplify the question:

If you are replacing carpet throughout and replacing all the windows (level 1) does this mean it is a level 3 alt?

The way the IEBC reads, it seems that it would be, but that seems to be excessive because when you're doing level 1 replacements there is a very good chance you are going to do them throughout the entire building.

405.1 Scope. Level 3 alterations apply where the work area

exceeds 50 percent of the aggregate area of the building.

Rooster,

the way I read it is changing the carpet is a level one but as soon as you replace the windows then it moves to a level 2. Level 3 kicks in if you are altering the space eg. chaning room size so on and if the work area is 50% of the total floor space then you would have to install a sprinkler system if required by code. So if you have a 100 sq foot space and you are altering 50 sq feet then you install sprinklers in just that space not the whole buliding.

Good luck with this we have been strugling with this several times.

Moscow said:
Rooster,the way I read it is changing the carpet is a level one but as soon as you replace the windows then it moves to a level 2. Level 3 kicks in if you are altering the space eg. chaning room size so on and if the work area is 50% of the total floor space then you would have to install a sprinkler system if required by code. So if you have a 100 sq foot space and you are altering 50 sq feet then you install sprinklers in just that space not the whole buliding.

Good luck with this we have been strugling with this several times.
Thanks Moscow. Although, the way the IEBC reads I don't think replacing windows would be a level 2 alteration. According to IEBC 404.1 it's the addition or elimination (not the replacement) of a window that kicks it into level 2.

With that being said I believe I found the definition that makes it clear...

According to the IEBC:

WORKAREA. That portion or portions of a building consisting

of all reconfigured spaces as indicated on the construction

documents. Work area excludes other portions of the building

where incidental work entailed by the intended work must be

performed and portions of the building where work not initially

intended by the owner is specifically required by this code.

So according to this, the work area is defined as the spaces that are reconfigured. I know I read this before, but that didn't stand out. I was thinking more in terms of the work area being wherever you are doing work, whether it's a reconfig or not. According to this definition Level 1 alterations wouldn't really be considered a part of the "work area."

Forgive me for beating a horse dead. I'm just trying to classify things correctly and it's always seemed a bit fuzzy. Most projects have been pretty cut and dry, but this one came along where I really wanted to clear it up once and for all.

window size for window size is not really an alteration.. it's a repair.. carpet, painting, trim.. you can spend a lot of money doing cosmetic upgrades without changing the use/functionality/size of a building.. it's maintenance.. new windows CAN cut heating up to 25% - a good thing in old buildings.. don't penalize the building owner.

Better yet.. don't require permits.

peach said:
window size for window size is not really an alteration.. it's a repair.. carpet, painting, trim.. you can spend a lot of money doing cosmetic upgrades without changing the use/functionality/size of a building.. it's maintenance.. new windows CAN cut heating up to 25% - a good thing in old buildings.. don't penalize the building owner.Better yet.. don't require permits.
Then what is a Level 1 Alteration?

According to the IEBC:

SECTION 403

ALTERATION—LEVEL 1

403.1 Scope. Level 1 alterations include the removal and

replacement or the covering of existing materials, elements,

equipment, or fixtures using new materials, elements, equipment,

or fixtures that serve the same purpose.

and repairs:

SECTION 402

REPAIRS

402.1 Scope. Repairs, as defined in Chapter 2, include the

patching or restoration or replacement of damaged materials,

elements, equipment or fixtures for the purpose of maintaining

such components in good or sound condition with respect to

existing loads or performance requirements.

And I would love to not require permits...but sadly, that ain't up to me...I am the submittor...not the submittee. We also have some Level 2 alts happening so we have to submit.