• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Work Signed Off By Building Inspectors

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I was wondering where to put this thread about work that was already signed off by an inspector and realized this is a code administration issue. A quality control issue. Some may think we should not be airing our dirty laundry, but, I see it differently. Sometimes we need to see just what is going on with our peers. Although I won't name the municipality, I will name the state.

I have someone who gets to visit these sites in an official capacity after they are signed off by the inspectors. He wants to share these photos to bring to light the incompetence and complacency of many inspectors. These are all new photographs of recent construction and passed by the local AHJ. In the case of the photos I am going to post, they are all performed by a third-party inspection agency. Enjoy.

Photo 1: Deck Lateral Restraint in Pennsylvania
60902~2.JPEG

@ ~ @ ~ @

Rembo, ...you are providing pictures like ** ICE ** has been doing
for years now.......Until there is a organization that is well funded
and well connected with the various communities, that brings
these issues to light on a consistent basis, and obtains some actual
positive changes to human behaviors & practices, ...this would be
an ongoing, uphill battle with "not much" to show for the efforts.

As
** ICE **, and others have stated before, ..."the amount of
squeeze needed for the little amount of juice obtained"
just will
not produce the much needed end product [ i.e. - Code compliance ].

I guess that you could place your photos in the same Thread as

** ICE ** has been doing.........I \ we still like to see the photos and
the commentary on them.

@ ~ @ ~ @

@ ~ @ ~ @

Rembo, ...you are providing pictures like ** ICE ** has been doing
for years now.......Until there is a organization that is well funded
and well connected with the various communities, that brings
these issues to light on a consistent basis, and obtains some actual
positive changes to human behaviors & practices, ...this would be
an ongoing, uphill battle with "not much" to show for the efforts.

As
** ICE **, and others have stated before, ..."the amount of
squeeze needed for the little amount of juice obtained"
just will
not produce the much needed end product [ i.e. - Code compliance ].

I guess that you could place your photos in the same Thread as

** ICE ** has been doing.........I \ we still like to see the photos and
the commentary on them.

@ ~ @ ~ @
I believe the point of the posts are different. His posts are what he saw when he came to do an inspection. The photos in this thread are of already approved construction, inspected by the AHJ. The context is different. He was there to make the contractor fix the violations, these photos were deemed approved after the inspection and the contractor thinks his work is compliant. Until he works in another jurisdiction, anyway.

The photos seem to be of major errors, that should have been noticed by the inspector if that inspector has sufficient time, training and support to do the job correctly.

I see the inspectors position as gross quality control and life safety compliance. We are not on the site to supervise the work, there are thousand of things that the construction professionals running the job is responsible for that we cannot see, which oversite by the Building Office cannot inspect every detail.

The construction show above is beyond that oh "I missed it" the inspector should be coached to correct procedures. The plumbing looks bad and I would not do it that way, however I am not a plumbing inspector qualified to make that call.

Tee on the left, Table P3005.1 Sanitary tee Horizontal to Horizontal. Can go Vertical like the one on the right.

1694796401862.png

Took my wife to a ball game here and the drinking fountain was located in the restrooms. :eek: Wish I had taken a picture. I did report it to the state, and they had them removed even though they passed inspection.

I just had deck that looked kind of like the last photo. It had an engineer seal on the plan.
An architect's or engineer's signature is not an automatic certification of code compliance; these professionals can make errors just like anyone else. As inspectors, our role is to serve as the final safeguard to ensure structures meet code standards and are safe for public use. Whether we're employed by a municipality or a third-party agency, the ethical obligation to prioritize safety and adhere to building codes is universal. Failure to uphold these standards compromises not just the integrity of our profession but also the trust and safety of the public we serve.

Some may think we should not be airing our dirty laundry, but, I see it differently.
I got in trouble with LA County when I created a website that did some of that. If the public knew the truth there would be changes made.

Sometimes we need to see just what is going on with our peers.
No, no we don't. It should remain hidden from view at all costs. I was ordered to ignore the failed performance of other inspectors.

He wants to share these photos to bring to light the incompetence and complacency of many inspectors.
He had better be careful if he wants to keep the job.

The approval by the building department does no make a code violation code compliant.
You are absolutely correct. In situations like this, we now have contractors that think they performed to code compliance, when, in-fact, they did not and will then argue in another municipality when they repeat it and get caught.

The approval by the building department does not make a code violation code compliant.
What you have is an approved code violation. Depending on the jurisdiction, that can be bulletproof. Many building officials will allow the violation rather than admit that an inspector doesn’t know the code.

we now have contractors that think they performed to code compliance
Contractors get so many different reactions from inspectors that they are convinced that nobody knows the code. Contractors are motivated to pass inspection and carry on… code compliance is not a part of that.

An architect's or engineer's signature is not an automatic certification of code compliance
I wish my former boss adhered to that statement. His belief was if the RDP stamped it, signed it and dated it, they should stand behind it!

He could always find another RDP that could critique another RDP's work if they were on the muni payroll, they may feel the need to fine something to justify their existence.