• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Working space/stable platform NEC

Beniah Naylor

SAWHORSE
Meter and disconnect for solar installation on an existing home. I wrote it up because to service the equipment you would be standing on a flimsy homemade window well cover. I wrote it up as a working space violation under 110.26. The electrical contractor moved the meter without challenging the code section.

However, on further study, I cannot find a section that specifically requires a stable working platform like you can find in the I-codes for mechanical systems and such... What am I missing?

IMG_2997 (2).PNG

I don’t know code, but fromma practical perspective i would not stand on that.
Is it a life safety item?

People do some strange things. Imagine escaping from a basement through the glass well cover. There should be a first aid kit in the well...with a tourniquet.

110.12 Mechanical execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
The electrical contractor moved the meter without challenging the code section.
What about the solar equipment? Did it get moved?

Last edited:
People do some strange things. Imagine escaping from a basement through the glass well cover.

110.12 Mechanical execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

What about the solar equipment? Did it get moved?
Yeah, that stuff got moved too. It was kinda one of those Tiger Code situations...