• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

workload

I am curious about the average inspectors workload. Since things have slowed down, my average is 12 to 16 inspections in a nine hour day. 1 1/2hr. is stuck in the office and the rest is in the field.

The city I work in has few residences and mostly commercial/industrial. We currently have a tract of 500 homes under construction but a retired inspector working under contract handles the tract, otherwise I am the only inspector.

Re: workload

We try not to take any more than about 14 a day. My permit tech watches the 4ways and finals and if there aren't many she will take a few more small ones. We don't have a lot of sfd's either although we do have townhomes and quite a few apartments and commercial. I don't want any more than about 14 inspections a day scheduled so that we are rushing through them and missing things.

Re: workload

Population around 25,000 and 15 square miles. We are averaging around 15 to 20 inspections a day.

We have about five commercial jobs and about twenty new SFR at some stage right now.

When I say 15 to 20, this is actual inspections and not stops. We count the framing inspection as four inspections because we do a combined inspection of framing, plumbing top out, electrical rough in and mechanical all at the same time..........4 inspections.