• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you accept these connections?

Looks like the lugs are made for two conductors but is it only for two aluminum conductors... [2014 NEC 110.14 (A)]
What is the UL# on the lugs?

Not familiar with these, I would ask for paperwork from the manufacturer or listing data.

Having received that, I would know whether to accept the installation, or reject the installation because they didn't follow instructions (110.3(B)), or not approve the equipment if it turns out to be some knockoff poorly constructed unlisted piece of junk. (230.66 and 110.2).

Also, they are not marked in a way that would indicate that they have been torqued properly per 110.14(D), but that is hard to prove or enforce.

Not an electrical guy... but in looking at the picture, how is the rear-most conductor compressed/held in place? It appears that the lug has two separate holes for the conductor to be installed, but only the front hole will be compressed by the bolt at the face of the lug.

Not an electrical guy... but in looking at the picture, how is the rear-most conductor compressed/held in place? It appears that the lug has two separate holes for the conductor to be installed, but only the front hole will be compressed by the bolt at the face of the lug.
There is a second setscrew below the top setscrew. The lower setscrew secures the back conductor. What I do not like is the obvious stress on the wire due to a lack of bending radius. I would not have a problem turning it down for that reason. I am pretty sure that I would be scoffed at for doing it.

Looks like the lugs have a little trap door that swings down out of the way.

ICE sez: Bending radius?

ICE sez: Bending radius?
It’s a borderline call. It’s almost good enough and almost not good enough.

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter for nonshielded conductors or 12 times the overall diameter for shielded or lead-covered conductors during or after installation. For multiconductor or multiplexed single-conductor cables having individually shielded conductors, the minimum bend- ing radius is 12 times the diameter of the individually shielded conductors or 7 times the overall diameter, whichever is greater.

Last edited:
You never know what Jeff is talking about. It could be that he’s complaining about an inspector that failed this…..perhaps it’s not ready for inspection…..maybe it’s a lure…..might think it’s okay.

Last edited:
You never know what Jeff is talking about. It could be that he’s complaining about an inspector that failed this…..perhaps it’s not ready for inspection…..maybe it’s a lure…..might think it’s okay.
When I post, it's to hopefully generate relevant conversation and bring issues to the forefront for discussion and hopeful resolution so we are all more consistent with our application of the code.

When I post, it's to hopefully generate relevant conversation and bring issues to the forefront for discussion and hopeful resolution so we are all more consistent with our application of the code.
That much I knew. I can even hear you saying it.