• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you allow the JambLock in schools?

LGreene said:
Where do you draw the line regarding what a facility can do? I agree that it's not a building code issue, but the fire code requires free egress. It also requires fire doors to be maintained in code-compliant condition, which is a separate issue but one that I mentioned as an example in my original post. If wood wedges, padlocks and chains, etc. disappear when the fire marshal is around and that's considered acceptable, I think we're headed down a slippery slope - no? I know that everyone is reacting to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary by trying to secure our schools, but I would much rather see them do so with a code-compliant solution.
This is a High up the food chain decision on what is done.

Needs to involve the admin of not only the school, but the community it is located in with the BO, FM, PC, attorneys.

Eventually the staff needs to be made to understand what is and isn't a good idea.

Lastly, how many schools are designed/built as Institutional facilities? With cooridor that are Exit Passageways, etc

You don't want your schools turned into "dachau".