• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wrightsville Beach, NC - Bldg. Code Administrator

I find this one to be very interesting. They expect to find a multi-disciplined inspector to do all of the plan review, inspections, active code enforcement & zoning. A one-stop shop. Mostly residential with a few high-rises and a bunch of commercial in a VE flood zone.

This is a case where small municipalities would be better off being absorbed into the largest, nearest city or creating a COG so they can better serve the community and not expect one person to do it all and do it effectively. I understand many municipalities love to keep their own kingdom for nostalgia purposes but at some point, one person doing it all won't work which is likely why municipalities eventually have code compliance issues. Regionalization is more necessary these days for almost all municipal services.

I find this one to be very interesting. They expect to find a multi-disciplined inspector to do all of the plan review, inspections, active code enforcement & zoning. A one-stop shop. Mostly residential with a few high-rises and a bunch of commercial in a VE flood zone.

This is a case where small municipalities would be better off being absorbed into the largest, nearest city or creating a COG so they can better serve the community and not expect one person to do it all and do it effectively. I understand many municipalities love to keep their own kingdom for nostalgia purposes but at some point, one person doing it all won't work which is likely why municipalities eventually have code compliance issues. Regionalization is more necessary these days for almost all municipal services.
I always thought that it might be best for some of these municipalities to contract some of their services from the larger entity. They still lose some control but get to retain a lot of their identity.

I always thought that it might be best for some of these municipalities to contract some of their services from the larger entity. They still lose some control but get to retain a lot of their identity.

It makes sense. I've watched it play out in our region, and the benefits to the smaller municipality - and region - are notable.

It’s a tiny town. Population of 2,473 and probably that many cats. You could spend your afternoons on the beach.

I worked for Los Angeles County. There are many cities that have a contract with the County for building dept. services. That provides a city of limited resources with expertise way above what the city could afford.

I was forced to interview for the position of inspector at a tiny city about the size of Wrightsville Beach. The city manager said, "We have several contractors that live and work in our city. They expect preferential treatment. Will you give them preferential treatment?" I replied, "While I can accomodate such things as timely inspections, the code is the same for everyone." Thankfully I didn't get assigned to that city.