• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WTF Missouri

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just had a preliminary meeting for a $4.5M renovation project on a commercial structure which will be a multi-use facility. Major renovations, adding stairwells, B, R1 & more.

The company is from Missouri and was expecting the permit fee which includes all plan review and all inspections for all disciplines to be under $2,000 because that is what they would have paid back home.

WTF!!

Re: WTF Missouri

I just had the plumber for Walmart question his $2100 permit fee for $500,000 worth of work. He stated that they never paid more than $200 to $300 for a permit before.

We don't do fixture count for commercial jobs. It's based on cost of contruction. We decided we spend a lot more time on commercial jobs doing partial inspections, meeting with contractors blah blah blah.

Ok, I'll take some heat on this one. 180,000 sq ft recreation center. Total permit fees: $5399.00. We are cheap!!!

We have two different fee schedules. One based on square footage for new construction. One based on construction cost for remodels. Plus we charge a whopping $5 per required inspection. We are cheap.

jpranch said:
Ok, I'll take some heat on this one. 180,000 sq ft recreation center. Total permit fees: $5399.00. We are cheap!!!
Just the building permit would run you around $8,025...........

Our building permit base fee would be $33,750.00, no MEP or plan review included...

TJacobs said:
Our building permit base fee would be $33,750.00, no MEP or plan review included...
What is the valuation for the building??????????? WOW $33,750 :shock: How can you justify that type of fee???

I bet you guys don't get very many recreation center applications do you! :?

It would be very interesting if there is a ranking list of permit fees and then evaluate how well the area is doing economically :?:

4.5 million

Building permit fee $23,677.35 Building only

Plan review fee $ 15,390.28 includes mech, plumbing, fire sprinkler and alarms.

About 1% of the project valve

JAR,

What part of MO? In my AHJ 2,000 wouldn't even cover permit fees and a water tap for a single family dwelling. State law here prohibits most counties (3rd and 4th class) from enforcing building codes, so where the codes are enforced permit fees need to cover a good portion of department costs.

Conclusion...I think they are pulling your leg.

knockadse said:
JAR, What part of MO? In my AHJ 2,000 wouldn't even cover permit fees and a water tap for a single family dwelling. State law here prohibits most counties (3rd and 4th class) from enforcing building codes, so where the codes are enforced permit fees need to cover a good portion of department costs.

Conclusion...I think they are pulling your leg.
Springfield area so they say

The AHJ i used to work for would of been about $35000 plus MEP and LV fees.

They have since gone up on fees.

$4.5M = $20,472 permit (all trades included) $7,165 plan review, $25,637 total.

Jeff get that all the time, had a basement permit a couple weeks ago, that a contractor swore the neighboring jurisdiction was so much cheaper. I walk over to the computer and pulled their fees up, and they also were still using the 97 UBC table. Kinda shut them up......... :lol:

Mule said:
TJacobs said:
What is the valuation for the building??????????? WOW $33,750 :shock: How can you justify that type of fee???

I bet you guys don't get very many recreation center applications do you! :?

For alterations and remodeling the building permit fee is (0.0075 x project cost) as stated on the permit application by the applicant.

For a new building it is (0.0075 x building valuation) as determined using the BVD chart from ICC as amended by us.

http://www.algonquin.org/egov/docs/1228849277_350830.pdf

Do you folks not use the building valuation table provided by ICC as a basis for your fee schedule. You do know they publish a suggested valuation table based on "type of construction and occupancy" twice a year right?