• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

XPS Continuous Insulation Cavity Wall... protected?

QuestionThat

I know for Light gauge steel stud and brick veneer cavity wall construction where xps is used for continuous insulation IECC requirement that the xps doesn't need to be protected with gyp or intumescent paint.
It has recently come to my attention that spray poly in cavity doesn't either for this wall type.
BUT, as soon as I put fiber cement or ACM (aluminum composite material) panels (not brick any longer) over the spray poly I have to protect it.
Wondering with XPS if I would need to do the same thing for those specific types of siding.... (either paint or cover with gyp etc. at the exterior face.

For ignition, any foam insulation (XPS, EPS, polyiso, sprayed polyurethane, etc.) has to comply with IBC Section 2603.5.7. Fiber-cement panels and metal-composite material, or MCM (the IBC term), would be material exceptions to this requirement provided they comply with the minimum thicknesses indicated. For MCM, however, you also have to comply with Section 1407, which has other requirements including full-scale testing per NFPA 285, or it complies with one of the alternate conditions provided in Section 1407.11.

I should add that in addition to the ignition requirement of IBC Section 2603.5.7 a building of Type I, II, III, or IV construction must have full-scale testing per NFPA 285 as required by IBC Section 2603.5.5 (unless one of the exceptions applies).