• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

yet again ....no ladder

This is one side of a dual side wall furnace. The opening to the hallway is reduced to 26''. The other side of the wall is open but the contractor didn't leave me a ladder to see the vent in the attic. He never provides a ladder. He must have a poor memory because I leave a re-inspection fee notice every time. Must have happened 10 times in the last two years. You would think that at $104.00 a pop he would get a clue. You can buy a nice step ladder for less than that.

IMG_0869.jpg

Re: yet again ....no ladder

mtlog - You're too nice. I have never brought a ladder as a municipal inspector (as a Home Inspector, always).

tigerloose,

What is that dark gray area above the furnace? Is that exhaust residue?

Did you let them keep this furnace in this location or move it? :eek:

FWIW, we also carry our own ladders. Darned home bilders don't want

to play nice and help us out with access to their attic spaces. Some even

expect us to NOT inspect that area at all. :eek:

The dark area is an unpainted patch. They will be moving the furnace. We don't carry ladders because we drive our own vehicles, don't have time to get out a ladder, don't want to be carrying ladders through houses and possibly cause damage, the County is too cheap to buy about 100 ladders and the code requires that access to the work be provided.

I drive a truck and carry a Little Giant because sometimes there is something I really want to see. I have a bed cover so nobody knows and people won't assume we provide ladders.

We require access to be provided by the contractor. No ladder = Failed inspection.

cboboggs said:
We require access to be provided by the contractor. No ladder = Failed inspection.
Ditto!