• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yet Another Pluming Fixture Question

DTBarch

SAWHORSE
2012 IBC/IPC City of Phoenix

Warehouse tenant space has 34,167sf of storage warehouse along with a 1,500sf office up front.

Occupant loads for egress as I see it would be 34,167sf / 500 = 68 occupants for the warehouse and 1,500sf / 100 = 15 occupants for the office area.

IPC Table 403 as well as IBC Table 2902 call for 1 wc per 100 occupants for an "S" occupancy. The warehouse is not eligible for exemptions to separate facilities since the occupancy load is over 15 and it is not a mercantile occupancy. Therefore, the warehouse requires one toilet room for women and one for men, or a total of 2 separate toilet rooms.

At 1,500sf and an occupant load of 15, the office qualifies for exemption from separate facilities since it is a business occupancy under 50 (Phoenix amendment adds "B" to the "M" exemption and ups the max to 50). Therefore, the office area can be served by a single unisex toilet room.

As I'm looking at it, that results in a total requirement of (3) toilet rooms to serve this tenant space (1 unisex for office + 2 separate toilet rooms for warehouse).

Other than applying for a code modification, or requesting special dispensation from the BO, are there any other straight code provisions that would allow for you to combine office/warehouse toilet rooms, or otherwise reduce the number of toilet rooms needed? It's a spec TI (landlord client), so there's no specific tenant info we can base off of, but it would be fairly rare to have 68 warehouse workers for straight Storage use. Quite probably there would be no more than 5, although clearly the extreme situations could exist.

You only need two water closets. For mixed occupancies you calculate the ratios first, add them up, then round up to the next whole fixture (See Section 2902.1.1). Here's how it should calculate:

Group B: 15/25 = 0.6, which equals 0.3 for male and 0.3 for female

Group S: 68/100 = 0.68, which equals 0.34 for male and 0.34 for female

Male: 0.3 + 0.34 = 0.64, rounded up to 1

Female: 0.3 + 0.34 = 0.64, rounded up to 1

DTBarch said:
2012 IBC/IPC City of PhoenixWarehouse tenant space has 34,167sf of storage warehouse along with a 1,500sf office up front.

Occupant loads for egress as I see it would be 34,167sf / 500 = 68 occupants for the warehouse and 1,500sf / 100 = 15 occupants for the office area.

IPC Table 403 as well as IBC Table 2902 call for 1 wc per 100 occupants for an "S" occupancy. The warehouse is not eligible for exemptions to separate facilities since the occupancy load is over 15 and it is not a mercantile occupancy. Therefore, the warehouse requires one toilet room for women and one for men, or a total of 2 separate toilet rooms.

At 1,500sf and an occupant load of 15, the office qualifies for exemption from separate facilities since it is a business occupancy under 50 (Phoenix amendment adds "B" to the "M" exemption and ups the max to 50). Therefore, the office area can be served by a single unisex toilet room.

As I'm looking at it, that results in a total requirement of (3) toilet rooms to serve this tenant space (1 unisex for office + 2 separate toilet rooms for warehouse).

Other than applying for a code modification, or requesting special dispensation from the BO, are there any other straight code provisions that would allow for you to combine office/warehouse toilet rooms, or otherwise reduce the number of toilet rooms needed? It's a spec TI (landlord client), so there's no specific tenant info we can base off of, but it would be fairly rare to have 68 warehouse workers for straight Storage use. Quite probably there would be no more than 5, although clearly the extreme situations could exist.
I would agree with your calculations. Table 2902.1 states 1 per 25 for B occ, so 1 for the B. 1 per 100 for the S puts you over the exemption so 2 for the S.

I agree with Ron. I would use 2012 IPC Section 403.1.1 though, which is identical to the IBC section that Ron quoted - "For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number". GPE