• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Yukon code controversy

Seems a liitle short sighted that you would engage the architect, clear the land, start the foundation ... and then talk with the permit office. And her complaint that the engineer has to be licensed in Yukon … same as A&E needing to be licensed in the project state down here.

If that picture is supposed to be the foundation … i’m missing something. Looks like form boards on top of the ground. No frost depth in Yukon?

Well, as I read it, she started when it was allowed and then they changed the requirements. If a permit was required for clearing and earthwork, that might have locked her in under previous code; but if it didn't require a permit, she got kind of squeezed.

As far as foundation we don't know if it's permafrost, which I think you build on, or shallow frost protected foundation, aka an Alaskan Slab.

I personally think there is reason for some latitude for owner builders. There must be a suitable way to warn any potential future buyers as well as warn emergency responders things may be different. I believe I once read of a jurisdiction in pacific n w that allowed owner builders a lot of latitude and simply prohibited them ever selling the property.

I'm also not sure a straw bale house isn't simpler and requiring less skill than stick frame, which requires no registered design professionals. And I believe the IRCs Appendix S Strawbale Construction is prescriptive.

Seems a liitle short sighted that you would engage the architect, clear the land, start the foundation ... and then talk with the permit office. And her complaint that the engineer has to be licensed in Yukon … same as A&E needing to be licensed in the project state down here.

If that picture is supposed to be the foundation … i’m missing something. Looks like form boards on top of the ground. No frost depth in Yukon?
Permafrost.

Well, as I read it, she started when it was allowed and then they changed the requirements. If a permit was required for clearing and earthwork, that might have locked her in under previous code; but if it didn't require a permit, she got kind of squeezed.

As far as foundation we don't know if it's permafrost, which I think you build on, or shallow frost protected foundation, aka an Alaskan Slab.

I personally think there is reason for some latitude for owner builders. There must be a suitable way to warn any potential future buyers as well as warn emergency responders things may be different. I believe I once read of a jurisdiction in pacific n w that allowed owner builders a lot of latitude and simply prohibited them ever selling the property.

I'm also not sure a straw bale house isn't simpler and requiring less skill than stick frame, which requires no registered design professionals. And I believe the IRCs Appendix S Strawbale Construction is prescriptive.
The article is vague on what type of RDP she has. The provincial chief seems to indicate she but needs a structural engineer.

This style of construction was never a prescriptively acceptable option in the Canadian codes.

Ignorance of the rules or change of the rule is not an excuse. Here from builders all the time "when did that change?"

While I don't have too much sympathy for building contractors, I do have some for owner builders.
Why?

I understand for building contractors. This is their job, and they should have known or researched the issues.

Why should a lesser standard exist for owner/builders? They have chosen to undertake all of the work done by contractors, why should they be exempt from some of the work they are choosing to undertake?

This style of construction was never a prescriptively acceptable option in the Canadian codes.

I looked at strawbale for my place. It's got a lot of issues, and is really only suitable for a dryer climate. They can be constructed, either as post-and-beam infill (which seems quite common) or as load-bearing (rare.)

Post-and-beam infill doesn't necessarily require a structural engineer, but if the builder wants to do the traditional plaster-on-straw finish on either the exterior or exterior, an alternative solutions from an engineer would be required to convince the AHJ that suitable air-barrier/vapour barrier and exterior moisture penetration requirements are met somehow.

Why?

I understand for building contractors. This is their job, and they should have known or researched the issues.

Why should a lesser standard exist for owner/builders? They have chosen to undertake all of the work done by contractors, why should they be exempt from some of the work they are choosing to undertake?
Why do I have sympathy for owner builders? I admire their tackling such a fundamental task of providing shelter for themselves. Read all of my posts here - I suggested there could be limits. And some latitude, not free to go anything. I also find some building officials are much stricter on owner builders, probably because so many came from the building trades and either can't accept or take offense at an amature doing what they did and their friends do for a living.

And have you tried to retain a registered design professional for small single family residential work? Simply unavailable. Doesn't help the housing crisis.

And have you tried to retain a registered design professional for small single family residential work? Simply unavailable. Doesn't help the housing crisis.
You touch upon an interesting point. One of the paths that led me into this career late in my life is that I wanted to build this project, myself.

rocktagon.jpg

Finding information on the required codes was a pain in the butt. I had to do so much research that frankly, it assisted me on several levels when I went into the building inspection side (masonry codes, insulation codes, etc.)

I find that too many AHJ's do not engage in enough pre-emptive education. Now, we're not allowed to offer design advice but by gum, we can provide general advice.

That's why I've stocked our website with a host of informative articles. I can't tell you how many times someone has either called me to clarify something based on one of those articles, or flat-out told me that the articles helped them get something right. Proactive rather than reactive.