• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Zero (or less than 5') Lot Line Fire Ratings

Jerry Jameson

Hello all,
We are locating a factory built commercial modular unit on a zero lot line condition. It's a bar/ Food unit.
CA Fire & Bldg. Code calls for a 1 hour rated enclosure and we have a tested (and approved) Intumescent coating that we are intending to coat the walls and roof surfaces (It's a converted and state approved, labeled shipping container BTW).

Question, If we coat the inside, that will prevent fire spread from our unit across the lot line, If we coat it on the outside, that will protect our unit from a fire on the adjacent lot.
Clearly, applying the coating on the inside is a much better option IMHO, The coating is encapsulated, protected from damage and weather, But I'd be interested to hear opinions on this?

Thanks. Jerry.

Not my area but I think you have to do the exterior

Plus you have to find out if the locals will approve the use of the product

My guess is no

Give it a day or two for some more replies

Hello all,
We are locating a factory built commercial modular unit on a zero lot line condition. It's a bar/ Food unit.
CA Fire & Bldg. Code calls for a 1 hour rated enclosure and we have a tested (and approved) Intumescent coating that we are intending to coat the walls and roof surfaces (It's a converted and state approved, labeled shipping container BTW).

Question, If we coat the inside, that will prevent fire spread from our unit across the lot line, If we coat it on the outside, that will protect our unit from a fire on the adjacent lot.
Clearly, applying the coating on the inside is a much better option IMHO, The coating is encapsulated, protected from damage and weather, But I'd be interested to hear opinions on this?

Thanks. Jerry.

Do you have a link to the requirement

2016 CBC 705.5 Fire-resistance ratings
For Group A, E, H, I, L and R occupancies, high-rise buildings, and other applications listed in Section 1.11 regulated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, exterior walls shall be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Tables 601 and 602 and this section. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls shall be rated for exposure to fire from both sides.

Reactions: cda
2016 CBC 705.5 Fire-resistance ratings
For Group A, E, H, I, L and R occupancies, high-rise buildings, and other applications listed in Section 1.11 regulated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, exterior walls shall be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Tables 601 and 602 and this section. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls shall be rated for exposure to fire from both sides.

That is interesting, is both sides above base code?

How about a B occupancy where there is no required fire rating except for its proximity to the lot line?

I would check with the AHJ for prior approval of the materials before going to much further. JMHO

Already Done. We have Intumescents approved for this rating and use.
#rd Party State level review.

Thanks

Following on from this,
With a type 2b Construction type and zero lot line, what are the requirements for fire rating the roof. Given its a steel diaphragm noncombustible? Also no parapet required (Under 1000SF Floor Plan)

Thanks

Jerry.

Stepped building might be 1hr 10' back from firewall.....

706.6.1 Stepped buildings. Where a fire wall serves as an
exterior wall for a building and separates buildings having
different roof levels, such wall shall terminate at a point not
less than 30 inches (762 mm) above the lower roof level, provided
the exterior wall for a height of 15 feet (4572 mm)
above the lower roof is not less than 1-hour fire-resistancerated
construction from both sides with openings protected by
fire assemblies having a fire protection rating of not less than
3/4 hour.
Exception: Where the fire wall terminates at the underside
of the roof sheathing, deck or slab of the lower roof, provided:
1. The lower roof assembly within 10 feet (3048 mm)
of the wall has not less than a 1-hour fire-resistance
rating
and the entire length and span of supporting...........