• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

zoning enforcement

Daddy-0-

How many of you P.M. guys also enforce zoning regulations? We are tasked with enforcing a few of the big ones (grass, unlicensed vehicles, dogs, boats, and trash). The actual zoning inspectors also enforce these as well as illegal signs, illegal businesses, fences, and all other zoning issues. As you can imagine this can get confusing. We actually only do this enforcement if we are already at the property for a maintenance violation. This means that we have to check with zoning to see if they have an active case before we write it up. Do any of your AHJ's do this? It seems to work pretty well for us so I am not complaining just curious. It does get a little confusing at times but more work means more security these days. Thoughts?

Re: zoning enforcement

We pretty much enforce what ever every other department doesn't want to deal with - we'll end up doing the dirty work for them.

We'll respond to a basic complaint of illegal construction and end up writting everything up from the construction work without permits to fence height violations, from setback violations to landscaping maintenance.

However, unfortunatly politics come into play in alot of what gets enforced and what gets "allowed for now", but I guess thats another topic.

Anyways - we're the bearer of bad news.

Same Here. We get it all, illegal construction, signs, zoning, weeds, dogs, derelict vehicles, illegal parking, and everything else.

juscheckn said:
We pretty much enforce what ever every other department doesn't want to deal with - we'll end up doing the dirty work for them. We'll respond to a basic complaint of illegal construction and end up writting everything up from the construction work without permits to fence height violations, from setback violations to landscaping maintenance.

However, unfortunatly politics come into play in alot of what gets enforced and what gets "allowed for now", but I guess thats another topic.

Anyways - we're the bearer of bad news.
As with justcheckn', I too get to be the bearer of bad news. I do pull in PD, FM, and Enviro Health depending on the situation. Lucky for me that it hasn't been too politicised (so far).

Sue

My monacher(I guess I spelled that right) is the "designated bad guy". We handle all things great or small and get to be the go between when neighbors don't want to start fights about grass, or dogs, or cars, or that ugly little gnome in the flower bed.

Oh yeah, it happens.