• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Means of Egress

Salty_Sailor

It was passed to a customer today that as long as one set of stairs leading out of a house for means of egress has a graspable handrail, that is all that is required and not for others. I asked what if there are 2 sets of stairs leading out of a house, lets say one in front and one in back, they both need graspable handrails correct? The reply was no because you only need one means of egress out of a single family house. I need guidance. I looked at 2018 IRC and IBC and could not find a good definition as far as what is and how many means of egress are required out of a residential single family house. I checked r311.1 and it states that "a" means of egress, that doesn't necessarily mean one correct? There could be multiple.

ya, i see where someone might think the handrail is only req in means of egress... because section 311 is means of egress... however 311.7 is for all stairways and 311.7.8 is clear in req handrail on 4 or more risers

Building regulations require handrail, typically when 3 or more risers, regardless of whether considered egress or not.
That only applys to the section for egress. That means only egress stairs need a grasp able handrail. No where else in other codes does it talk about grasping hand rails. What's the section where that says that?

Building regulations require handrail, typically when 3 or more risers, regardless of whether considered egr

ya, i see where someone might think the handrail is only req in means of egress... because section 311 is means of egress... however 311.7 is for all stairways and 311.7.8 is clear in req handrail on 4 or more risers
That's part of the egress section. So that means it only applies to egress

R311.7 Stairways. Where required by this code or provided, stairways shall comply with this section.

R311.7.8 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided...

1011.1 General. Stairways serving occupied portions of a building shall comply with the requirements of Sections 1011.2 through 1011.13.

1011.11 Handrails. Flights of stairways shall have handrails...

R311.7 Stairways. Where required by this code or provided, stairways shall comply with this section.

R311.7.8 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided...

1011.1 General. Stairways serving occupied portions of a building shall comply with the requirements of Sections 1011.2 through 1011.13.

1011.11 Handrails. Flights of stairways shall have handrails...
Remember handrails that are mentioned for chapter 3 for egress only apply to egress handrails. Chapter 1 doesn't mention the word graspable handrails.

What's the section where that says that?
R311.4 vertical egress

All stairs require handrails. R311.2 says you can have more than one egress door.
R311.4 addresses vertical egress which could be out the back door and across the deck and down the stairs that are required to be in compliance with R311.7 which includes R311.7.8 handrails.

R311.1 Means of egress.
Dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress in accordance with this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage. The required egress door shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

R311.2 Egress door.
Not less than one egress door shall be provided for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged, and shall provide a clear width of not less than 32 inches (813 mm) where measured between the face of the door and the stop, with the door open 90 degrees (1.57 rad). The clear height of the door opening shall be not less than 78 inches (1981 mm) in height measured from the top of the threshold to the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

R311.4 Vertical egress.
Egress from habitable levels including habitable attics and basements that are not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway in accordance with Section R311.7.

Besides, if you are on the middle of the flight of stairs, the rest of the flight is your means if egress.

It's an age old question. If you provide feature - stairs or doors or ramps etc - that's not required, does it have to meet the requirements as if it was required. The overwhelming interpretation is it does. All stairs have to have handrails and meet the rise and run requirements whether or not the stairs is required.

None of that answers the question. Does it state that homes shall have more than one means of egress? Or are we supposed to interpret it as any means of egress that fits the requirements of the chapter of means of egress be considered as such? Meaning if I have multiple doors leading to the outside that fits the description of means of egress is automatically deamed means of egress? I haven't seen a plan come across my desk that labels anything as means of egress in residential buildings. So how do we know what means of egress any house is using?

Besides, if you are on the middle of the flight of stairs, the rest of the flight is your means if egress.

It's an age old question. If you provide feature - stairs or doors or ramps etc - that's not required, does it have to meet the requirements as if it was required. The overwhelming interpretation is it does. All stairs have to have handrails and meet the rise and run requirements whether or not the stairs is required.
Yes handrails but not necessarily graspable. The word graspable is only mentioned in means of egress therefore only apply to means of egress stairs.

Looking at 2021 IRC and will suggest this is just clarifying what the intent always was.

R311.7 Stairways.
Where required by this code or provided, stairways shall comply with this section.
Exceptions:
1.Stairways not within or serving a building, porch or deck.
2.Stairways leading to nonhabitable attics.
3.Stairways leading to crawl spaces.

and

R311.7.8 Handrails.
Handrails shall be provided on not less than one side of each flight of stairs with four or more risers.

and

R311.7.8.5 Grip size.
Required handrails shall be of one of the following types or provide equivalent graspability.
So pretty clear that stairs where required or provided shall have graspable rails.

Seems clear to me all stairs shall have graspable handrails.

Considering falls on stairs cost society over $100B a year, do you really not want them to be safe?

If section R311 was only for requirements for one required means of egress it would not have section 311.3.2 Floor elevations at other exterior doors.

Girder span tables are in the Wall Construction Chapter does not mean the girder tables are only for walls. They can be used for floors too.

If the stair is providing a path of travel from an occupied portion of the house, it is providing egress, and is therefore a means of egress stair. The stair may not be a required means of egress, but it is still a means of egress; therefore, R311.7 applies.

i honestly dont care if deck stairs have a graspable rail though. i'm not going to fail a deck for that. they do need a rail on top of the guards though.. obviously.. and i think anyone could grab on if needed. i do make sure they're not a trip or snag hazard. (make sure the ends return into wall or guard)

Remember handrails that are mentioned for chapter 3 for egress only apply to egress handrails. Chapter 1 doesn't mention the word graspable handrails.
I remember that you're trying to make that argument. I, personally IMHO, think you are wrong.

From the IRC commentary for Section R311.7: "The requirements for stairways used for everyday circulation and exiting are contained in this section. The provisions address a wide variety of issues that must be considered when designing a stairway that is both safe and usable. These requirements are not applicable to steps that might occur as part of the landscaping or steps leading to spaces that are not normally accessed, such as crawl spaces or nonhabitable attics."

We adopted 2018. But for chap 3 that only applies to means of egress stairs only. Not other stairs in the house.
Although not directly mentioned in the codes, ICC has repeatedly stated that chapter, section, and paragraph titles are not considered code. However, all stairs, whether required or not, are considered means of egress stairs and must comply with the requirements for stairs unless there are exceptions that apply.

i honestly dont care if deck stairs have a graspable rail though. i'm not going to fail a deck for that. they do need a rail on top of the guards though.. obviously.. and i think anyone could grab on if needed. i do make sure they're not a trip or snag hazard. (make sure the ends return into wall or guard)
If you are picking and choosing what sections, you want to enforce and not enforce you should not be an inspector..

I was speaking to the dimensions of the top of the guard. And really just for residential decks. Interpreting the intent of the code. And I just learned the grip size of the graspable top of the rail probably fits r311.7.8.5 type 2. Or at least the intent to be able to grab on. I’m simply not worried about meeting those exacts. As I walk up and down deck stairs I grab the railings firmly and give em a good push and pull. So, I do not believe I’m picking and choosing what sections to enforce and not enforce. As we have come to the agreement that deck stairs will usually never be the only means of egress