• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Rigid Foam Insulation Thickness

fj80

Sawhorse
I'm designing a house with a cathedral ceiling with exposed structural beams, with structural decking above, and then rigid foam insulation above the decking. Per the 2012 Virginia Residential Code Table N1102.1.1 I know that I need to have R-38 roof insulation. Where do I find out how thick my rigid insulation needs to be to reach that R value?

2012 IRC and 2012 Virginia Residential Code

The internet says R5 to R6.5 per inch depending on the type. So 6 to 8 inches should do it.

Last edited:
Yes, and all the SIP manufacturers will have different specs, some even if they use the same foam.

I've wondered why the Virginia amended section N1102.2.1 allows R-38 to be reduced to R-30 if there is an attic and the full height of uncompressed R-30 insulation extends over the wall top plate at the eaves, but N1102.2.2 only allows a limited area to be R-30 if there is no attic.

I would think that foam insulation would be far more effective than fiberglass of an equal R value, because the slightest breeze would drive cold air in winter most of the way through fiberglass, reducing its effective R value.

I've wondered why the Virginia amended section N1102.2.1 allows R-38 to be reduced to R-30 if there is an attic and the full height of uncompressed R-30 insulation extends over the wall top plate at the eaves, but N1102.2.2 only allows a limited area to be R-30 if there is no attic.

I would think that foam insulation would be far more effective than fiberglass of an equal R value, because the slightest breeze would drive cold air in winter most of the way through fiberglass, reducing its effective R value.

Perhaps the stack effect of heat collecting at the ceiling peak suffers loss of efficiency?

That does sound counterintuitive. I wonder if they made the change without looking at the other sentence.