• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plug Strips

Scott Taylor

If this is not the correct place to ask this question referrals are welcome.

The International Fire Code prohibits plugging one plug strip into another. No details or reasons given.

Assuming both cases draw less power than is available from the outlet and that all plug strips are rated for the full power of the outlet, Why is plugging a five outlet strip into another five outlet strip considered unsafe but using a single twelve outlet strip is considered safe?

Scott

You are an engineer

Have you seen the craftsmanship on some of these???

Even the single multi stripe burn up or down

580a8e5037fa0.image.jpg

Daisy Chain Fire

Thanks, I have never came across this before when doing inspections, then I looked under my desk, oops, I'll right myself a violation notice and give myself a week to correct, is that okay with you guy's?

What happens when the fire happens tonight and you say, the BO said it's okay for a week. What's my liability?

What happens when the fire happens tonight and you say, the BO said it's okay for a week. What's my liability?

Mark I'll take care of it today, got to climb up a stake of pallets and move a desk first to get to the receptacles.:p

I wonder what Kidde's liability is after they announced some of their fire extinguishers don't work when I grab one? Does the recall protect them?

You know they just recalled some of their FE's

There go my Christmas village over the fireplace lights, ouch!
Thank you Scott for this topic.

guess what I found?
An Indian head nickel??? Uh Oh, I see what I did wrong. It should be an indigenous peoples head nickel. Of course I could have said buffalo nickel but that denies the indigenous people all together. Perhaps indigenous people regret being on a nickel. What can we know anymore? I bet that if it was a half dollar the indigenous people might accept that as an honorarium. Well I suppose it would depend on who got the dollar and can't they have quarters too.

So no Bill, I haven't a clue.

Last edited:
But we have to GFCI our HVAC condensers because 100 people got electrocuted in the last 10 years....FNFPA....
In talking with an Edison lineman I commented that his occupation is shockingly dangerous. He said that the only electrocuted Edison employee that he remembers was a meter reader. The guy touched a condenser that lacked an equipment ground and had a hot case. (what is now an equipment ground was called a case ground for many years)

I have encountered more missing case grounds on HVAC condensers than any other equipment. Condensers are always installed by a non-electrician. So many inspectors do not bother to look at the wiring in the disconnect.

IMG_4056.JPG

IMG_8278.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

You can count on HVAC installers to do strange things. I carry a non-contact voltage tester for a reason.

IMG_4901.JPG

Last edited: