• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Funeral Homes/Embalming

McShan

Bronze Member
I was looking at a funeral home and my question is they currently use a urinal and flush the bodily fluids into the public sewer. Is this OK? It seems odd I just want to see if that is allowed. 2012 I codes. I couldn't find anything addressing this, any help would be appreciated. This is my first time with a funeral home.

Concur

Plus might also fall under hazardous waste and disposal there of

Thanks for all the reply's, Ive found out that they can dispose directly into the sewer system. I would not have guessed they could, seems to me like it would be treated as a hazardous or special waste.

Off point a bit, but a legitimate concern is to keep the embalming fluid out of the public water supply with required back-flow devises.

Off point a bit, but a legitimate concern is to keep the embalming fluid out of the public water supply with required back-flow devises.
Formaldehyde in Drinking-water
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/formaldehyde130605.pdf

Short term exposure
"Oral doses of 0, 50, 100, or 150 mg/kg of body weight per day in rats and 0, 50, 75, or 100 mg/kg of body weight per day in dogs for 91 days had no effect on haematology, clinical chemistry, urinalysis, or gross microscopic pathology. "
Long term exposure
"... rats were given formaldehyde in drinking-water at 0, 10, 50, or 300 mg/kg of body weight per day. At the end of 12 months, rats of both sexes in the high-dose group were observed to have gastric erosions, ulcers, squamous cell hyperplasia, hyperkeratosis, and basal cell hyperplasia. Only one male and one female from the mid-dose group showed hyperkeratosis..."