• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC-ES Meltdown?

CodeWarrior

What happened at the ICC-ES Committee Meeting last Tuesday (February 6, 2018)? I missed the webcast but heard that the committee had to go to a closed session after withering an attack on the integrity of their evaluation program. Maybe ICC will release the webcast recording but it sounds like the meeting was a disaster they would like to forget about.

I am interested as well, a few years ago I tried to get a Legacy Report that's not only no-longer available, but when I called they would neither give nor sell it to me, makes me suspect that they are covering up for the product's prior failures.

It needs to be remembered that the purpose of ICC-ES is to make money. Their clients are the manufacturers who pay for the reports not the users of the product nor the building officials.

The whole process is biased in favor of the manufacturers who decide what information to share with ICC-ES and who often write the first draft of the evaluation reports.

If you look at the number of staff at ICC-ES and their qualifications and then compare that with the number and variety of the reports it is hard to believe that they have time to perform extensive technical reviews. It is also hard to believe that the ICC-ES staff has the expertise to review all products that ICC-ES issues evaluation reports for.

Yes ICC-ES has a history of not admitting mistakes and when they have no option but to modify a report, because it was flawed they try to sneak in the revised report without admitting that there was a problem with the previous report.

It needs to be remembered that the purpose of ICC-ES is to make money. Their clients are the manufacturers who pay for the reports not the users of the product nor the building officials.

The whole process is biased in favor of the manufacturers who decide what information to share with ICC-ES and who often write the first draft of the evaluation reports.

If you look at the number of staff at ICC-ES and their qualifications and then compare that with the number and variety of the reports it is hard to believe that they have time to perform extensive technical reviews. It is also hard to believe that the ICC-ES staff has the expertise to review all products that ICC-ES issues evaluation reports for.

Yes ICC-ES has a history of not admitting mistakes and when they have no option but to modify a report, because it was flawed they try to sneak in the revised report without admitting that there was a problem with the previous report.

But Mark isn't that what the entire building codes have become, a way for an AHJ to make money? We in California tried to correct that by limiting government agencies to fees for services rendered, then AHJs did a workaround by merging unprofitable departments with their profitable building departments, I've told of having to take a number and wait in a waiting room full of poor women with snotty nosed babies waiting for housing services, so I go in to pay well over $100,000 in fees for a permit for a house with people coming to get free or subsidized housing. The whole process is corrupt, even passing laws can't stop it, yeah I know, Tiger catches bad flashing and electrical connections all the time in Dogpatch Ca.