• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

International Property Maintenance Code

An emotional reaction but it raises the question of how much regulation is appropriate.

It is interesting that California has not adopted a property maintenance code. The reason for California's decision is unknown.

I think this is originally related to slum landlord problems and not so much the privately owned homes.

In my jurisdiction we have the old 1997 Uniform code for abatement of dangerous buildings. With that we were able to condemn and demolish a certain home that was badly neglected and to my knowledge this is the only one we ever did.. The process was lengthy and was done via the court system.

I'm not a fan of this code, although I have to enforce it - so good on Ghost Town for not adopting it.

However - it appears from the comments on that article and the couple others about the issue on that website, that nobody (citizen or Council member) really understood the code.

Even the comments within the article misrepresented it - "The proposed ordinance would have allowed city employees to enter private property to conduct inspections", "For the City Council to say that they can go in with code enforcement and make people do [repairs] and charge them if they don’t — that’s just theft. It’s a loss of freedom and its theft,” he said.

Sounds like it got blown out of proportion by a vocal resident or two (imagine that!). The City maybe should have done a better job of explaining things..

My code enforcement officer love the property matanance code
Much easier to find the items than searching the uniform cde books

We adopted the IPMC here, not a single comment when adopted, several sections were already in the Municipal code.

Remember when you were put in an old refrigerator as a kid and couldn't get out? that's addressed in the IPMC, Your suppose to take the doors off.

Weeds, you get to insert the height you want to enforce. 6" 12" 18" etc.

Do they allow addendum's to the code?

Casper has the 2006 IRC, wonder how they ever got that thru?

Doing a case right now, improperly maintained in Unit ceiling HVAC. Falls under minimum habitability requirements, condensate leaks led to mold build up.
Landlord duty to maintain, City of LA inspects all apartments every 4 years. Anyone have a copy of their inspection checklist?