• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air Handler Shutdown

Michael Brown

SAWHORSE
I am seeing more and more engineers interlocking apartment A/C systems with their local smoke alarms so that the systems are shut off should the smoke detector sound the alarm. I've been looking around and have not been able to find any code references other than the IMC requirement for systems above 2000 cfm. Does anyone out there know where this requirement is coming from?

Shutting down individual units

Or the big ones??

The smoke alarms in the units??

May not be based upon a code requirement. Could be owners wanting to limit smoke damage within an individual unit.

Would also keep tenants from messing with the smokies since it would shut down the HVAC.

Shutting down the small units (600-800 cfm average) in each individual apartment when that apartment's smoke alarm goes off.

Have not seen or heard of it.

I wonder how the smoke alarm
Talks to the a/c?

Seems like there would be a language barrier???

Have not seen or heard of it.

I wonder how the smoke alarm
Talks to the a/c?

Seems like there would be a language barrier???
The smoke alarm manufactures have listed relays available for just such applications. Opens the 24V control wiring to the AHU.

The smoke alarm manufactures have listed relays available for just such applications. Opens the 24V control wiring to the AHU.

Unit stand alone smoke alarms??

Or are you talking a system smoke detector

Last edited:
I believe we are talking interconnected smoke ALARMS in a dwelling unit. Relays are available to accomplish many functions (F/A notification common in multi family) including AC shut down. If no outside air intake I don't see the point but I don't do dwelling units.

Actually, I think it is because of language contained in the 2015 IMC, Section 607.3.1 which added "ceiling radiation dampers" in its requirement to be labeled for use in dynamic systems. As far as I know, there are no ceiling radiation dampers labeled for such use, so this is the alternative.