• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FRP Rebar

linnrg

Sawhorse
What are people out there seeing in the use of this fiber Rebar? I see that ACI has an actual guideline on this.

440.1R-06: Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars

looks like the latest is 440.1R15 and it costs a mere $108.50

from the site:

DESCRIPTION
Fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) materials have emerged as an alternative for producing reinforcing bars for concrete structures. Fiber-reinforced polymer reinforcing bars offer advantages over steel reinforcement because they are noncorrosive. Some FRP bars are nonconductive as well. Due to other differences in the physical and mechanical behavior of FRP materials versus steel, unique guidance on the engineering and construction of concrete structures reinforced with FRP bars is necessary. Other countries and regions, such as Japan, Canada, and Europe have established design and construction guidelines specifically for the use of FRP bars as concrete reinforcement. This guide offers general information on the history and use of FRP reinforcement, a description of the unique material properties of FRP, and guidelines for the design and construction of structural concrete members reinforced with FRP bars. This guide is based on the knowledge gained from worldwide experimental research, analytical work, and field applications of FRP reinforcement.

The internet says that FRP has higher tensile strength than steel. I have not encountered it in use.

Compare apples to apples relatively speaking with comparable qualities of stainless to FRB.
Had separate request for large slabs on ground and parking garage, don't know why the RDP wouldn't approve it.

Last edited:
if this is non-conductive and non corrosive I would think the people in the swimming pool world would be seeing it right away.
Advertisement says it could last way longer than other products.

By the way this is available at all of your local supply stores.

https://www.americanfiberglassrebar.com/default.aspx
USE FRP REBAR
Concrete Susceptible to Corrosion
• Waste Water Treatment Facilities
• Swimming Pools
Tunneling & Mining
• Sequential Excavation or NATM Tunneling
• Deep Foundation Tunnel Boring Machine “Soft-Eye” Opening for Launch & Reception
• Temporary Reinforcement
• Rock Bolts
Building & Historic Preservation
• Historic Preservation - Restoration & Pinning of Stone Elements
• Architecture Concrete Elements
• Slabs
Exposure of Concrete to De-Icing Chlorides
• Bridges & Railings
• Median Barriers
• Parking Structures
• Approach Slabs
• Continuously Reinforced Concrete Paving
• Precast Elements
• Salt Storage Facilities
Masonry Strengthening
• Seismic, Wind or Blast Strengthening of Unreinforced Masonry
• Strengthening for “Event Loading” of Clay & Concrete Masonry
Exposure of Concrete to Marine Chlorides
• Coastal Construction exposed to Salt Spray
• Sea Walls, Wharfs & Dry Docks
• Desalinization Intakes
• Port Aprons
Exposure of Concrete to High Voltages & Electromagnetic Fields
• Light & Heavy Rail
• High Voltage Substations
• Radio Frequency Sensitive Areas
• Cable Ducts & Banks
• Hospital MRI Areas
• Aluminum Smelters & Steel Mills
• High Speed Highway Tolling Zones
• Airport Radio & Compass Calibration Pads

American Fiberglass Rebar products
(702) 567-2514 Direct or (885) 6409861 Toll Free. Email sales@americanrebar.com

American Concrete Institute (ACI)

440.1R-06: Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars

440.5-08: Specification for Construction with Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcing Bars

440.6-08: Specification for Carbon and Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Bar Materials for Concrete Reinforcement

440.3R-12: Guide Test Methods for Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Reinforcing or Strengthening Concrete Masonry Structures

440.2R-08: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures

440.7R-10: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Systems for Strengthening Unreinforced Masonry Structures

FRP rebar has not been adopted into the code and thus if proposed must be considered as an alternate means of construction.

FRP rebar does not have the ductility that steel rebar has and thus would be inappropriate for some applications. A significant amount of FRP is used to mitigate problems with existing masonry or concrete members and while it may improve the performance of these members my sense is that these reinforced members will not perform as well as new fully compliant members would.

I've also done some reading on FRP Bars and a lot of the advantages are offset by some of the disadvantages. It's very susceptible to environmental factors such as UV light etc. and its strength will deteriorate if left exposed to direct sunlight. In addition any damage to the services will also reduce his strength. Most of the withers are I read also say that you have to leave it on pallets instead of laying it directly on the ground which in most jobsites would be a huge disadvantage. Any material that records bends has to be bent before it's fully cured, cured Bars cannot be bent.

I can see where it may be advantageous in some situations but it doesn't sound like it's something it will take over huge portions of the field until some big improvements are made to it.

I've also done some reading on FRP Bars and a lot of the advantages are offset by some of the disadvantages. It's very susceptible to environmental factors such as UV light etc. and its strength will deteriorate if left exposed to direct sunlight. In addition any damage to the services will also reduce his strength. Most of the withers are I read also say that you have to leave it on pallets instead of laying it directly on the ground which in most jobsites would be a huge disadvantage. Any material that records bends has to be bent before it's fully cured, cured Bars cannot be bent.

I can see where it may be advantageous in some situations but it doesn't sound like it's something it will take over huge portions of the field until some big improvements are made to it.
Just like steel you can get bars that are coated.

Just like steel you can get bars that are coated.

Frp or GFRP rebar are the best alternatives to traditional steel. These bars are when reinforced with corrode offer sustainability to the concrete structure and protect it from getting corroded. Another great feature is Glass fiber reinforced polymer is non-conductive to the electricity. You can see lots of major construction projects such as bridges, mines, highway infrastructure are built with GFRP material to get sustainability and long life span to the concrete structure. See here a great resource on how GFRP Rebar strengthens the concrete structures.