• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water in Conduit

jar546

Forum Coordinator
When you start watching this video you might say "what's the big deal?", until you keep watching the video.
Very interesting find. Think about any code requirements that may have prevented this. Are there any?

Our POCO doesn't seal, and won't let the property owner seal, the end of conduits that run up the transformer poles. No turn at the top, no cap/escutcheon, won't even let you squirt it full of silicone. When I asked a lineman why he said, "That's how we do it". o_O

I would have concerns except until you see electrical connections allowed at marinas and docks - there, conductors are allowed to be in water unprotected.........might have better insulation but still is unprotected, at least the conduit protects the conductors.....Besides, many POCO require weep holes drilled into elbow to allow for water to weep out or on dependent upon water table heights.
I heard that this is especially popular up north where freeze/thaw cycles can rupture or break conduit when water freezes.

Our POCO doesn't seal, and won't let the property owner seal, the end of conduits that run up the transformer poles. No turn at the top, no cap/escutcheon, won't even let you squirt it full of silicone. When I asked a lineman why he said, "That's how we do it". o_O

Same here, open conduit at the top

..Besides, many POCO require weep holes drilled into elbow to allow for water to weep out or on dependent upon water table heights.
I heard that this is especially popular up north where freeze/thaw cycles can rupture or break conduit when water freezes.

Weep out or weep in?

300.50 (F)
The end of an underground conduit that enters a building shall be sealed. I encountered a flooded building (2" of water) because a utility vault that was much higher than the building floor was taking on water. It ran through the conduit.

Any inspection requirement to prevent this? Suspect insulation damage (maybe a rodent or sharp corner) let the smoke out of the cable into the basement of a restaurant. First responders where looking for a kitchen fire until they found smoke still emitting from the main service panel. Melted the cable into the conduit, had to dig it all up.
PHASE TO PHASE SHORT 002.jpg
PHASE TO PHASE SHORT 007.jpg

300.50 (F)
The end of an underground conduit that enters a building shall be sealed. I encountered a flooded building (2" of water) because a utility vault that was much higher than the building floor was taking on water. It ran through the conduit.

If a slip conduit is used below the meter can it would allow water from a POCO thats above the service to escape wouldn't it? Just saying

The only place where I heard a seal is required is to prevent water from electrical conduit to enter a flood protected house...... however I am not a flood plain guru and am sure that government interest in our safety has provided guidance to ensure flood waters don't enter our house the same as plumbing back flow preventers are required for house lower than the height of a fail pump station...... hmmm. Not sure it exist, but somehow is our fault.