• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Getting to a 480 3ph Motor Disco

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Does anyone see a problem as far as code legality is concerned with this setup? That is not a walkway between conveyors. They are inches apart.

IMG_0263.jpg

Just finished a million sq. ft. building with a couple hundred miles of conveyors. Had a lot of discos that were not accessible.. I was told my a very experienced inspector and my boss to let these go because they have their own maintenance staff.

Just finished a million sq. ft. building with a couple hundred miles of conveyors. Had a lot of discos that were not accessible.. I was told my a very experienced inspector and my boss to let these go because they have their own maintenance staff.
Will the employees ask for a maintenance person tp operate the disconnect? How about a good reason such as there not being any serviceable parts within the disconnect. ie no fuses

So what part of the code are you hanging your hat on to allow that?

I can't find it in the code book but it's the section that says to do what your boss told you to do to keep your job.

And whatever this means where blue lettering in the NEC Handbook says "Minimum working clearance is not required if the equipment is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized. However, access and working space are still required by the opening paragraph of 110.26."
It's only a disco and there is a breaker panel for the disco not to far away where it could be disconnected.