• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

So a HVAC contractor walks into a bar

cda

Sawhorse 123
Make that an office, and has a question

What should they do if they find a house with a unit putting out

1. Low levels of CO?

2. Medium levels of CO?

And the house owner does not want to fix it anytime soon??

And winter is strarting/heater time.

And a legitiment hvac company, not trying to make money, but maybe save lives and a day in court.

Alert the gas company. Any time I have to alert the gas company they are there in minutes. Edison is nonchalant....the gas company is anal. Of course I get name, rank and serial number which I suppose scares some people. I like the gas company. My bill is $12 this month. I'll give'em a call if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBI
there have been contractors who write this up to gain extra work - I personally know one. I had called him to do a service and his report stated CO levels. I did not like his quote to do the repairs on an older boiler I had, so I called another contractor who came out and could not detect CO. I also had a CO Detector in that room that never went off (neither contractor knew this). Luckily for me I was able to get a energy grant and replaced that boiler with a high efficiency unit that no longer relies on natural draft.

there have been contractors who write this up to gain extra work - I personally know one. I had called him to do a service and his report stated CO levels. I did not like his quote to do the repairs on an older boiler I had, so I called another contractor who came out and could not detect CO. I also had a CO Detector in that room that never went off (neither contractor knew this). Luckily for me I was able to get a energy grant and replaced that boiler with a high efficiency unit that no longer relies on natural draft.

I understand the vultures

One debate is

Where do you take the reading?

Near the heat exchanger ?

In the plenum?

In a room down the way, where the co level may have disapted ??

readings should be taken at the appliance. C/O is created within 3/4 of an inch of the fossil fuel point of ignition.

After the repair was made if a combustion analyzer was used it would have shown the high levels of C/O if it was present and directly related to the appliance. It would not have shown if the equipment was burning correctly and the bathroom fan was not on at the time. When the bathroom fan was turned on and blowing back towards the appliances is when a properly tuned piece of equipment would create C/O since the air to fuel ratio would be disrupted at the point of ignition.