• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical ICC Residential exam

Speed tabs for the IRC.

Other than that, read through it several times and learn the basic calculations. The Res exam was fairly mild; the Commercial on the other hand is a beast.

Is the NEC useful for this test at all?

Yes, it absolutely is. I took the commercial electrical test over 10 years ago and then about 7 years ago I took the IRC electrical just for fun to see what it was all about. My background is electrical btw. I believe that you really need to understand the NEC because the verbiage in the IRC electrical section is from the NEC. All of it is from the NEC so if you are familiar with both, you will do better.

Yes, it absolutely is. I took the commercial electrical test over 10 years ago and then about 7 years ago I took the IRC electrical just for fun to see what it was all about. My background is electrical btw. I believe that you really need to understand the NEC because the verbiage in the IRC electrical section is from the NEC. All of it is from the NEC so if you are familiar with both, you will do better.

Helpful, maybe if you already know the NEC like JAR does. If you are new to electrical, all answers for the Res Elec. can be found in the IRC, the NEC is not required. The IRC electrical section is fairly small, definitely a lot less than the NEC. Save yourself some effort, learn what you need and don't add an unnecessary book to the mix. Adding the NEC will only increase your chances of finding a similar but incorrect code reference.