• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this a problem? What would you do (electrical)?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
You have a large, custom home with an 800A UG service to an MDP with the following overcurrent devices:

Service Disconnect 800A 120/240 Single Phase
Then

60A Dbl Pole to a dock
100A Dbl Pole to a dock
20A Dbl Pole to a boat lift
60A Dbl Pole to an equipment panel
20A Single Pole to a generator battery charger
100A Dbl Pole to another equipment panel
200A Dbl Pole to panel A
200A Dbl Pole to panel B
200A Dbl Pole to Panel C
200A Dbl Pole to a dock

The generator has a 200A CB and rated at approximately 48KW

There are already 2 ATS' (automatic transfer switch) in place, each rated for 200A

The homeowner plans on having an electrician add another 200A transfer switch for one of the 200A panels currently not on the generator power.

There is no plan for load shedding and the current setup lacks any type of load shedding.

What information would you request in order to approve this installation so you could perform an inspection?

I’m just a lowly inspector. My AHJ has about a dozen electrical engineers. The engineers perform plan review.....I check that.

If the plan checker and inspector are one in the same.....who catches the plan checker's mistakes? That's one of the reasons why engineers make for lousy inspectors.

If you were looking for "Plans and load calcs" your original question should be: What do you need for plan review? Nobody should be asked to show up cold on an 800 amp service, perform plan review and then inspect it. They shouldn't even have a permit without an approved plan. The plan check wouldn't be over the counter and the inspection would be meticulous.

Last edited:
If the plan checker and inspector are one in the same.....who catches the plan checker's mistakes? That's one of the reasons why engineers make for lousy inspectors.

If you were looking for "Plans and load calcs" your original question should be: What do you need for plan review? Nobody should be asked to show up cold on an 800 amp service, perform plan review and then inspect it. They shouldn't even have a permit without an approved plan. The plan check wouldn't be over the counter and the inspection would be meticulous.

Jeff Said: "The homeowner PLANS on........." then "What information would you request in order to approve this installation so you could perform an inspection?

ICE Said: "....who catches the plan checker's mistakes?"

I guess another plan reviewer would have to double check the plan checker for mistakes because everytime I ask a question a lot of responses are that it is not someone's responsibility, it is the plan reviewers. So I ask you, if the crutch is always referring back to the plan checker, how competent can the inspector be if he always has to refer back to the plan checker?

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here. It's just that everytime I try to get a good conversation about an electrical issue, many of the responses are about passing the buck rather than tackle the issue at hand, therefore, how can an inspector be expected to catch the mistakes of the plan reviewer when the reviewer is the crutch of the inspector?

Sorry about that...I didn't catch the part about the homeowner. Beyond that I'm just not the guy for these plan check questions so I'll keep my mouth busy eating....that's something that I'm good at.

You have a large, custom home with an 800A UG service

This is a house and it is not prescriptive under the IRC. I know my limits when it comes to electrical and this one would have been passed onto the commercial electrical inspector/plans examiner and anything over 400 amp is in engineered in this jurisdiction

E3401.3 Not covered.
Chapters 34 through 43 do not cover the following:

1. Installations, including associated lighting, under the exclusive control of communications utilities and electric utilities.

2. Services over 400 amperes.

I would need some electrical product information, location and grounding information right off the bat, and would like an electrical diagram provided due to the complexity of the project. Generator, NG, gasoline or propane, distance from structures?