• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Scholarships for Mentoring Programs

Glenn

I am very excited to kick off the BuildingCodeCollege.com mentoring scholarship program with the Colorado Chapter of ICC Building Futures Committee. They just received 10 completely free enrollments to award their High School participants. There are no strings attached to this gift. We are a small, grass-roots, startup, but we have a big dream to make a difference, so that's what we are doing. Who will be the next mentoring program to accept this gift we are offering?

Good on you Glenn, and thanks.

Our Chapter gives away 2- $1000 scholarships to HS seniors every year - one for any kid going into any college/university building construction field or architectural/engineering program, and another for any kid studying any building-related trade at a ju-co, tech school, whatever. We're decent-sized, include ~40-some jurisdictions, everyone gets a copy of the applications, apps. are provided to every school in the member jurisdictions, and they're posted to our Chapter website. Last year I think we had 6, maybe 7 applicants total. :(

I'm glad we do it, but the lack of applicants is disheartening. Not a lot of interest in getting an education in the industry around here - which makes no sense, since any kid could get a starter job tomorrow in just about any trade he wants to.

Good on you Glenn, and thanks.

Our Chapter gives away 2- $1000 scholarships to HS seniors every year - one for any kid going into any college/university building construction field or architectural/engineering program, and another for any kid studying any building-related trade at a ju-co, tech school, whatever. We're decent-sized, include ~40-some jurisdictions, everyone gets a copy of the applications, apps. are provided to every school in the member jurisdictions, and they're posted to our Chapter website. Last year I think we had 6, maybe 7 applicants total. :(

I'm glad we do it, but the lack of applicants is disheartening. Not a lot of interest in getting an education in the industry around here - which makes no sense, since any kid could get a starter job tomorrow in just about any trade he wants to.
I do see a future where the trades and construction come back as a respectable line of work. We just all have to keep sharing that message.