• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Required toilet facilities in another building

Tim Mailloux

I know the code allows for people to travel up to 500 feet or 1 floor up and 1 floor down to get access to toilet facilities. But what about having to go to another building (with in the 500 foot travel distance) to get access to toilet facilities?

In this case there are two existing office buildings on clients corporate campus, Building #1 is a 2 story type 2B office building & Building #2 is a 3 story type 2A office building. The two existing buildings are approximately 150 apart from one another and we are building a new building between the two existing buildings making one connected structure. Because Building #2 is 3 stories I am unable to go the unlimited area building route and will be using a firewall to make the building connection. The new construction will be type 2A construction and be an addition to building #2. Where this new building #2 addition connects to Building #1 we will have a new fire wall / party wall.

I have no issue with the addition / fire wall strategy, my issue with plumbing counts in Building #1. We are renovating the interior of Building #1 and increasing the occupant load by more than 20% and thus need to bring the plumbing fixture counts up to code. The plumbing counts are in the building are not even close, and someone in my office asked if we could simply oversize the new toilet cores in the new Building #2 addition to accommodate for the low number of toilet facilities in Building #1. The toilet core in the Building #2 addition would be with in the 500 foot travel distance, but occupants would have to technically enter another building.

Will there be an interior path in the completed attached buildings? If so, if you meet the travel distances seems to work.

As a BO, I would not have an issue with it as long as there is not a property line.....CT? If your BO does, ask the State....There are schools that are over H&A that put in a FW and I can bet none of them have proper fixture count on both sides...

Are the buildings on the same lot? What happens when they sell off one building?

Do all the tenants from each building have full access to the other buildings restrooms at all times?

Is there an accessible path of travel between the buildings without using Autos?