• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Alie

Hi. Thank you for accepting me. My name is Alie. I know very little about building, construction in general or codes This seemed like a good place to get some questions answered. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. My situation is a little odd. First let me say that my #1 priority is to reside in a livable environment. I dont want to force anyones hand. Im not a litiginous trouble maker and I dont want special treatment. I have questuons about apartment dwellings(I live in one). The environment here has become almost unbearable. For many reasons. I would like to know what forum to ask about codes, difficulty in repairing some items. The construction of floors-barriers, venting in foundations. Walls
and fire safety, and of course mold. It all ties in togerher, aome of them are seperate but related issues. Thank you.

Sounds to me like you might be better served by going to meet with your local Code Enforcement Officer. Seems like we all handle these things differently as you will discover when the responses start flowing but your local CEO is most likely going to be the ultimate person to assist you.

How about list your top five concerns, and see if they can be addressed.

About how old is the building?

Common thought is, it was built to code, when built.

Sounds to me like you might be better served by going to meet with your local Code Enforcement Officer. Seems like we all handle these things differently as you will discover when the responses start flowing but your local CEO is most likely going to be the ultimate person to assist you.

I dont really know if the there have been any code violationd. It just doesnt FEEL right and it isnt right. I would rather just have it fixed or if it IS to code, find another place to live. And i dont want to complain if its acceptable. Maybe Im too picky. Doubtful. That is why I am asking. If I call code enforcement without a legitimate complaint, I might as well just go buy a tent.

I dont really know if the there have been any code violationd. It just doesnt FEEL right and it isnt right. I would rather just have it fixed or if it IS to code, find another place to live. And i dont want to complain if its acceptable. Maybe Im too picky. Doubtful. That is why I am asking. If I call code enforcement without a legitimate complaint, I might as well just go buy a tent.

List your top five concerns

& ~ & ~ &

Alie,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Does your Lease Agreement say anything about "providing
a safe" environment in which to live ?.........Other provisions
of your Lease ?.........Have you had any documentation from
a certified Inspector [ i.e. - Code Enforcement, Private Sector
Residence Inspector, Fire Department, other ? ]........Do you
know what Codes & Edition are in effect in your location ?

& ~ & ~ &

Salem promotes safe and desirable neighborhoods for all members in our community by investigating reports of specific code violations. Staff give priority to reports where public safety and health are at risk.
Multifamily housing safety
https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/report-neighborhood-problems.aspx
Complaint confidentiality policy
The City’s enforcement-related confidentiality policy is based on State of Oregon public records’ statutes. Enforcement records are public records, but the name of complaint is exempt from disclosure. The exemption is entitled “information submitted to a public body in confidence.” As such, any record that identifies a complainant is exempt from disclosure. However, notes in a file or a complaint letter, that does not specifically identify the complainant, may be disclosed.
The City will disclose the complainant’s name if required under a valid court order or if that person is going to be a witness in an enforcement case—the “right of cross examination” requires this provision.

Thank you. Ive been sick and its been a little difficult focusing on this. I have a month to month tenancy and although i dont have it next to me it does include provisions for "safe and habitable". My one story fourplex building was built in the late 70s. I live here because it is cheap, i dont mind little space and until recently it was safe and although a little shabby and dated habitable. Ive been here several years, did the pre move in inspection which i missed a few things but thats that.
PLEASE HUMOR ME THROUGH THIS- ITS NOT GOING WHERE YOU THINK.First within weeks of moving in i noticed bad spots coming up on the carpet. I didn't really think about their location but I was really upset that I was getting the carpet so dirty so quickly. Allowed to make everyone remove their shoes when they came in. I then learned that the woman who had left her before head left under not real good circumstances and the place was empty for quite a while and had people squatting in it. Still not really an issue. But the carpet here it seemed to get really dirty really quick and I used Rug Doctors and I spot cleaned it and I used area rugs and the carpet just got filthier and filthier. Fast forward a couple years until last summer we were all given notices that they needed to do inspections to check some things and they came in and did that. It was the first of several(half a dozen) inspections- code enforcement as well as a capital needs assessment that they were conducting prior to receiving, or applying for an affordable housing grant from some entity. I believe this complex is considered a low-income complex although we don't seem to pay any less than similar apartments around here. I do know that these apartments are 100% exempt from any property tax liability but that's not pertinent here.
They made a list of some things that they needed to repair they asked for us to do a few things around our apartments to make it the more accessible. They replace my bedroom door. I can roll a can of coke under my bedroom door with a thumbs width to spare. Kind of negates the need for a firewall don't you think? They replaced the roof a few months ago. And when I came home from work on the day that they were doing it I noticed that my dining room area light didn't come on and also that there was a hole in my kitchen ceiling just above my sink, the drywall was hanging down into my kitchen. It was raining at the time they were putting on the roof. I mentioned it to the roofers thinking that it would be better to say something to them now and maybe they could figure out a way to fix it rather than have some of their pay deducted and the foreman said oh we don't have any time right now we're in a hurry. There is still more work to be done so I didn't push it but I left a message with the management office. And I also sent them an email a few days later along with a release so that they could enter my apartment when I wasn't here and fix it but that was when they replaced my door and the light fixture and the hole in my ceiling have never been tended to. An added note is that there's no juice going to that fixture whatsoever and there is now a dark spot on the ceiling that has been spreading outward from that light fixture I don't know if it's moisture I don't know if it's mold I don't know what it is. I guess my final concern is that this apartment is poured on a foundation I believe. None of my walls meet the floor I can stick my finger underneath every single wall and find a gap that I can stick my finger down in, and if I shine a flashlight down there and pull the carpet up a little bit I can see dirt a few feet down under my apartment. There events on the outside of the foundation and up until two weeks ago I had a beautiful maple tree out front which they just cut down for no reason. My family was in the tree industry for years I know what trees dont do foundations and what trees don't do things to foundations. They put some ground cover out there after the neighbors poured a huge concrete slab they might have abated the soil from expanding and pushing up on the foundation which is going to continue happening because there's nothing outside now too absorb any water that comes down. Not only that but I have this huge pile of dirt outside my the front of my apartment now that is a dry and dirty and everything in my apartment is now just covered in dirt all the time.
I'd like to remind you again that I'm not a little gymnast person I just want to be comfortable and not filthy all the time and really I have been since I've lived here but now it's five times worse.
So here are my questions.
1. Isn't there some sort of barrier required under a floor to keep dirt from coming up through the carpet or padding or from coming under the edges of the carpet where the walls DONT meet the floor. I happen to think this building is sinking and taking that maple tree out was bad idea. How can I check and see if there's dirt coming up I know there is.

2. Could there be mold or mildew up in my crawl space that is spreading on the ceiling?
3. Why is my ceiling fixture not working when another ceiling fixture on the same switch plate is working?

I know poor people don't have the same rights as wealthy people that's a given this day in age but I at least would like to not have to walk outside with a coating of dust and dirt on me every time I leave my apartment please don't tell me there's nothing about any of this that can be done.
Thank you for your time I apologize for my lengthy post and have a great day.

For the record reporting my apartment management to any sort of government entity or organization is the absolute last measure that I would take , if I would do that at all, I would obviously try to resolve any issues I have with them first but I just would like to know if there's a way to check these things because they don't seem to be prioritizing it too much.

OK,

Well the first option is to report these items to code enforcement, and request that they meet you on site,,,
The down side, is you may not have a place to stay after you get a 30 day notice from management.

No you should not see dirt visible if you are talking either a hole in the foundation or similar.

Most walls do not meet the foundation.

Most doors to have an space open at the bottom, maybe not soda can size, but this is to allow movement of air.

Even fire rated doors are allowed space at the bottom.

The may be a slight roof leak. When it does rain, just feel the ceiling and see of it is damp.

The light fixture should be an easy fix for management.

Is this place owned by a corporation or an individual???

Send them a registered letter with your concerns and repairs you want. This is a first step minimu.

If you want any action you have to rattle the cage.