• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Looking for recommendation for Fabric Covered Building

Morphdesigns

Sawhorse
I have a client that is looking at building a fabric covered "building". It would be unheated. I have seen "buildings" like this used for salt storage, etc. And more buildings used for farm puposes.

Has anybody had any experience with anything like this? I am looking for a reputable company that will furnish and erect something like this. We are in Wisconsin, so we get the snowy weather. This "building" will be in place for a couple of years, so it would need to follow requirements of 2015 IBC

It will be under 12,000 sqft, so we do not meet the sprinkler requirements per IBC chap. 9.
Building use will be F-1 during the warmer season as well as S-1.
Obviously since this is a fabric "building", "building" will be unheated. It will be 20' away from the existing building, per the requirements of IBC table 602

There are many companies in the farm belt that manufacture and install these type of structures. Kind of all weather green houses.

But if you start sticking people in them, does that change requirements??

It does if they build it in town and use it for other than farm storage.

In the case of the original question of the thread, I'd say it depends on what they're doing with it. F-1 and/or S-1 could cause more troubles than it's worth, so I think figuring out a way to make it a U would be the better play.