• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum Hallway Width Inside an Apartment?

fj80

Sawhorse
2015 IBC. Renovation of the interior of a single condominium residential unit in a high-rise tower. Unit is not required to be an Accessible Type A or Type B unit.

What is the minimum clear width of hallways WITHIN the unit? Which code section speaks to this?

Ever try to install a king size mattress in a bedroom served by a 36" corridor with 32" doors?
Not "best" practice to use 36"! Move a sofa?

Ever try to install a king size mattress in a bedroom served by a 36" corridor with 32" doors?
Not "best" practice to use 36"! Move a sofa?
Totally agree. All the corridors are 4' or wider, except one spot from foyer to kitchen that is bottlenecked at 32" wide for about 14" along the path of travel. Would there be a code exception for this situation similar to how the ADA allows the width to narrow for short stretches along the path of travel?

Code is not best practice.

Agreed, but I note the OP was specifically interested in a minimum code answer, and thus titled this thread "Minimum Hallway Width Inside an Apartment?" instead of "Best Practice Hallway Width Inside an Apartment?".

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-10_10-55-13.png
    upload_2019-10-10_10-55-13.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
Agreed, but I note the OP was specifically interested in a minimum code answer, and thus titled this thread "Minimum Hallway Width Inside an Apartment?" instead of "Best Practice Hallway Width Inside an Apartment?".
Fully agree with you Yikes.

I was replying to and quoted ADAguy who commented that it was still too narrow. He can claim that it is too narrow, but like you, I am stating that it is only his opinion. The code allows it; may not be ideal and the best practice, but it is permitted.

Code, as we all know is a minimum but to developers exceeding it reduces their "profit".
Though code minimums in some cases give prescriptive minimums they do not always yield liveable spaces.
WE once had an architect in LA who was touted ( referred to as "Packing jack") for his ability to pack (cram) more units into less space then anyone.
Allowed minimums will always be sought by many developers in the name of profit.
Oy vey.

Yikes
I agree BUT
The OP also said "Unit is not required to be an Accessible Type A or Type B unit"
Don't bring in Accessible details. I muddies up the conversation.