• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nonabsorbent Surface IBC 1210

TO generalize, I would say for the most part I would accept anything except raw wood and carpet.

err are you saying that hypothetically, or did you actually inspect someplace with gypsum floors?

I thought the question was regarding nonabsorbent-- which I would accept any pretty much any flooring that is not raw wood or carpet.

If the question is regarding what is acceptable flooring, I think I'd rather start a thread on attic access :)

Reactions: JBI
He's referring to the wall covering requirement. We kicked this around in the old forum, the answers were all over. We don't except drywall w/epoxy paint. Must be tile, FRP, plastic laminate, metal, masonry, etc. But that's us, I know others had posted they will except the epoxy paint.

1210.1 Floors; I would agree with TimNY

1210.2 Walls; We do not accept gypsum board around a urinal period. We will accept it in a single water closet restroom not used by the public.

I emailed the wall surface question to the Gypsum Association a few years ago, after discussing (ok, arguing) the point with architects; this was GA's reply "As far as I know, gypsum board is not considered to be nonabsorbent. This code requirement is generally referring to the wall surfacing materials such as tile or plastic panels. This is a typical application where water-resistant gypsum backing board is used as a substrate for ceramic tile."

Notice water-resistant gyp not moisture resistant (green board). Of course, what determines "hard" - hammer blow or finger push? Your interpretation here.

While on the subject, do your require the floor to extend upwards as required by 1210.1 or do you accept a base material?

IBC 2006 1210.1 Floors. In other than dwelling units, toilet and bathing room floors shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface that extends upward onto the walls at least 6 inches (or 4 inches in 2009 IBC).

CAL GREEN
Section 5.407
Water Resistance & Moisture Management

5.407.2.2.1 Exterior Door Protection.

Primary exterior entries shall be covered to prevent water intrusion by using a non absorbent floor and wall finishes within at least 2 feet around and perpendicular to such opening.

Does the floor width need to span more than the actual width of the door?

For what I can see, I would draw the door and offset a line 2 feet away in both directions (x,y)

Any feedback?

Spot on, at issue is the elimination of "any" openings (cracks, separations) between dissimilar materials and other than smooth surfaces so as not to catch and retain splashes and overspray. Not all of us have directional control as we get older (smiling). Therefore the height and width on either side of the urinal/wc are critical though not always spelled out. Think heavy use facilities such as bars and destinations with public use facilities where regular mopups should but don't always occur.

Epoxy paint would comply with IBC 1210.2.2. I have previously seen high gloss epoxy used in several commercial restrooms in LA, including at The Rooftop bar/lounge at The Standard hotel in downtown.

There is no code requirement in IBC 1210.2.2 for the nonabsorbent wall material to also be graffiti resistant or impact resistant. Damage to any finish is a maintenance issue, when needed, to remain code compliant for non-absorbency.

"Heavy body high gloss paint is used over CMU in hwy RR' and public parks all the time."

And in schools, colleges, etc.

Any more "for" epoxy paint these days? More years of use and abuse, holding up?
I've rejected it a few more times, if that counts?

Only time that I'll approve it is when the epoxy paint is applied to a masonry wall. Great solution for this specific wall type, but not acceptable for GWB substrate.

A section as vague as this needs a revisit every now and then...If 10 people chimed in with "we accepted epoxy paint and it still looks great 10 yrs later", I would be inclined. Experience and hindsight is the best teacher in code..Maybe flex seal would work?;)

Yes, if over a high impact resistant substrate such as metal, masonry, CMU, FG panels or similar material that will resist deformation due to contact with hard objects.