• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Grinder pump Q

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Can a grinder pump be used inside a commercial tenant space and be connected to the interior building drain system. I have a contractor indicating he would take the grinder pump line up into the ceiling and drop it back down in another tenant space and connect to the gravity lines in the slab or trunk. I've never heard of this or seen this before.

I have seen interior grinder pumps used where the sewer line entrance is higher than the basement floor and I have seen exterior grinder pumps used.

Is each tenant charged separately for water and or sewage disposal and how is it metered?
Would it be permissible for a single tenant to pump sewage within their space?
Does the lease allow it?

Is each tenant charged separately for water and or sewage disposal and how is it metered? Would it be permissible for a single tenant to pump sewage within their space?
Does the lease allow it?

Only one water meter to the building and one sewer line to city main.
We do not have anything in the city code saying no.
As a city were not privileged to see the lease.

As far as water and sewer to the building, all the tenants benefit from the below slab building sewer as well as a one metered water meter connection.

I would request a letter from the building owner agreeing to that. Curious why they propose to go into another space.

Is it a desire to use a grinder pump, or an absolute necessity? If it is possible to gravity drain, then code requires that it be done.

712.1 Building Subdrains
Building subdrains that cannot be discharged to the sewer by gravity flow shall be discharged into a tightly covered and vented sump from which the liquid shall be lifted and discharged into the building gravity drainage system by automatic pumping equipment or other approved method. In other than existing structures, the sump shall not receive drainage from any piping within the building capable of being discharged by gravity to the building sewer.

While the IPC does not provide any specific requirements for piping routed into or through another tenant space, I would suggest that it is ill-advised. If a line were to break on the side where the pumped waste is connected to the gravity drained waste, that tenant would have no ability to shut the pump down.

Curious why they propose to go into another space.

The space was used as a video store (M-occupancy) Now the space is being divided into two spaces. There is an issue with the building drain line below the slab not having enough fall for a new bathroom. The first tenant gobbled up most of the space including the existing bathroom and left the second tenant needing to figure out how to get a bathroom installed.

The space was used as a video store (M-occupancy) Now the space is being divided into two spaces. There is an issue with the building drain line below the slab not having enough fall for a new bathroom. The first tenant gobbled up most of the space including the existing bathroom and left the second tenant needing to figure out how to get a bathroom installed.
So it is an issue of not being able to connect to the existing building drain. What about connection to the building sewer or to the sewer main?

Per 712.1 (see my prior post), if they can connect to either the drain or sewer, they have to.

need to verify that they tie into drainage pipe not vent pipes - this usually causes opening up a wall to reconfigure drains.

We have Uhaul converting an old Kmart building into climate controlled self storage and the are putting a pump in for the new bath rooms and sinks. First one I have seen inside a building. Don't really like the idea if I was storing my stuff there. Did not find a reason the couldn't do it. Technically infeasible to tie into existing building sewer.

Mostly for security. They needed restroom for showroom so they didn't have to allow someone not storing but buying or renting to have access to rear of the building where existing restrooms are. Also usually 1 maybe 2 employees wouldn't have to be way in the back to use facilities.