• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You Make The Call - Electrical Violation?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
While inspecting a boat lift on a private dock, you find this where there is required support for LFNC. The no contractors are present, just the homeowner who let you in.

1) Can you pass this with what you see?

2) Would you pass it or fail it?

Hint NEC 356.30
IMG_7514.JPG

If the cable tie is listed for the application.....Should've used a bent nail...They are good for everything, might have to be galvanized though...

I got a few zip ties that are used in the solar industry and exposed them to sunlight for a couple years. They became brittle and fell apart. They were UL listed for the use. How would I know if the tie is listed or not? I already know that it will not last more than a few years. If there were no other corrections I would let it go. If I had to come back again I would ask for metal ties.

Last edited:
I'll go along with ICE on this and allow a UL listed zip tie as long as it meets the fastener minimum distances of 3ft. I think the suns gonna deteriorate it over time.