• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Can't get building permit for basement reno

coreytm

Hi,

I'm trying to get a building permit for my basement reno in Ontario. The basement is already finished and has a kitchen and two piece bathroom. The ceiling height in most areas is 6'9" except it's 5'11 under the beam which runs the entire length of the basement and 6'2" under some duct work which runs along half of the beam.

In my plans I've placed two rooms on one side of the beam with a hall in-between with doors opening into the rooms. One room is labelled as bedroom, and the other is labelled as den. The bathroom is currently in the middle of the room and under the duct work. I'd like to move it over against an exterior wall and the bedroom (where it's not under any ducts) and add a shower.

There is OBC 9.5.3.1:
Basement height
2100 mm (6'10.68) over at least 75% of the basement area except that under beams
and ducts the clearance is permitted to be reduced to 1950 mm (6'4.77")

C102 an exemption for older houses:
ln a house,
(a) minimum room height shall not be less than 1 950 mm (6'4.77") over the required floor
area and in any location that would normally be used as a means of egress, or
(b) minimum room height shall not be less than 2 030 mm (6'7.92") over at least 50% of the
required floor area, provided that any part of the floor having a clear height of
less than 1 400 mm (4'7.12") shall not be considered in computing the required floor
area.

The proposed alterations work perfectly for my intended use. The reviewer has told me that because the space is being renovated as a habitable space (although the fact that there's a kitchen and bathroom should already make it habitable space) she can't approve it because the beam and duct work are too low. Is there any way I can get the application for building permit approved?

If I choose not to build the rooms, will I be able to get the bathroom work approved?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Corey

Read thru this, similar problem.
See if it helps.

Are you working with a code consultant??

Can you run a wall, under the beam, the same length,

And just have needed openings in that wall?

Adding the floor plan for reference.

WcfYphD

Read thru this, similar problem.
See if it helps.

Are you working with a code consultant??

Do you have a link to the similar problem?
My brother is pretty up to date with the codes, but I'm open to working with another person who could help.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a building permit for my basement reno in Ontario. The basement is already finished and has a kitchen and two piece bathroom.
If I choose not to build the rooms, will I be able to get the bathroom work approved?
y
Did you install the bathroom without a permit? And, in my opinion, that’s a pretty narrow stair.

Need someone that knows the Ontario code.

According to the IRC sloped ceilings will only work if at least 50% of the floor area is 7' high.

You might need to file for an appeal.

Not sure how things are done up north

What you might do, not sure if will hurt the situation,,

Is do a records request, whatever it is called there, for any permits issued, any you might go back as far as possible

This will give you history
Plus see if the city approved some of the basement work before.

Other than that hire a code consultant

Heh, city has nothing on the house other than "work without a permit" in 2004.

Hum

Ok so much for that shot.

My only other is hire a code consultant or have a set down with the city and come to an understanding. This is how the house was bought, and has been. I am not trying to make it any worse, just do a little work on it.

What year was the house built?

Hum

Ok so much for that shot.

My only other is hire a code consultant or have a set down with the city and come to an understanding. This is how the house was bought, and has been. I am not trying to make it any worse, just do a little work on it.

What year was the house built?

House was supposedly built in 1952.

Pre code or post?

Permitted or not? if not what is shown on Tax accessor report as to what property improvements there are?

Pre code or post?

Permitted or not? if not what is shown on Tax accessor report as to what property improvements there are?
The city doesn't have any documents indicating it was permitted. When the bathroom and kitchen were installed is anyones guess. The tax assessment report shows 1 full bath, 1 half bath (basement), and finished basement. There's no kitchens on the report. Also, house was builts 1952, effective year built is 1972, and there's a renovation in 1990.

So, nonpermitted, no accessor verification, no chance unless you are filing as a "short" person (smiling), so lower the floor.

Well, the assessment indicates that the basement is finished and with a half bath. Is that enough to deem it habitable? To get ceiling height can be done a number of ways, not just lowering the floor. But that would be last resort if I wanted to go that direction.