• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

# of ADA (Single) Restrooms Required Assistance Pls!

westsiderkg

We are moving into a new 200 person facility in the spring of 2020.

Will we be required to have a seperate, singular ADA restroom?

How many total stalls are required based on a 200 person headcount? How many would need to be "accessable"?

This is a private office in a skyscraper, not open to the general public.

Apprecaite any citations to specific ADA guidanes.

Thanks!!!

Yes we have code. But we do not enforce ADA. And they don't need a permit for code on an existing building if they are not doing any construction or change of occupancy.

Common area restrooms in the "skyscraper" should be adequate for a normal business use occupancies. What is your use? how did you determine 200 occupants?

Other then, if provided they must comply with the ADA at a minimum. And if existing they must be retroactively upgraded if building constructed prior to the ADA. This may also require other upgrades (as in barrier removal)
Again as asked for by others: Age of building, how many floors will you occupy?, type of use.

.We have no use group, no scope of work, absolutely no information to begin to even guess at an answer....
True. But what we do have is an opportunity to begin to educate a newbie into the beginnings of understanding the arcane and bewildering collection of codes. Point him in the right direction, give some clues, and help him find the answer. Don’t slap him down for asking a question that might have been one of your own back when you were just beginning. Only a few participants here were born with a code book in hand.

If they were a code professional, I would agree and probably wouldn't have said anything not having the time do give so broad of an answer.....As a tenant moving into and remodeling a space, the best advice I can give is hire an architect, EVEN IF IT IS NOT REQUIRED BY LAW.......(I know PA is a little loose) It could save you countless dollars in lawsuits.

I find it odd that as a business he is unaware of the requirement for ADA compliance as it effects more than just his built offices. Do you have an HR department?